How to keep credit line open on old card when getting a new version?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by ilovskins12, May 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ilovskins12

ilovskins12 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,
    I've had some trouble finding a confident answer to this question so I'm hoping everyone can help.

I just was approved for the new explorer (65k). I know the first year fee is waived so I'm not very worried about this year, however I'm looking for a straegy for when payment time comes around. My current mileageplus visa that I've had for 6 yrs has a $50 annual fee.

My plan was to use the Explorer going forward, but having both seems like a bad move bc id have two annual fees. I don't want cancel the original one because I've had it for 6 years. What's the best strategy here to avoid paying double fees and more importantly to make sure I don't cancel the 6 year history for "average account year" purposes? Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best thing that you can do is have it downgraded to a no annual fee card so you don't have to worry about this problem going forward.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. ilovskins12

ilovskins12 Active Member

Status Points:
    Does United have a no annual fee card?

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife has had one for many years. I don't think they advertise it anywhere, but they offer it to people who call to cancel as an option. No fee, 0.5 miles per dollar (so of course I make her use her BA VIsA).