How to get Lufthansa seat assignments.

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by LarryInNYC, Oct 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have purchased a round-trip flight (four segments) from Travelocity, as United flights, all operated by Lufthansa. I'm crediting the flights to Aegean.

I'd like to choose a seat.

The Lufthansa web site denies any knowledge of "online check-in code" provided by Travelocity (which appears to my untrained eyes to be a six character record locator). This is about 30 minutes after completing the purchase. Do I need to wait for the ticket to appear in Lufthansa's system, or do I simply have the wrong locator?

I don't have status with any of the carriers involved; I don't even have an account with Lufthansa. Am I entitled to select an exit row seat? What is my best chance of getting one -- on-line seat selection, calling, or waiting until I'm at the gate?

2. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call the airline and use you flight numbers to access your reservations. Sometimes the online agencies have their own confirmation codes. At times they will show you both theirs and the airlines. When you do a multiple airline booking involving two airlines yu will get the code from the primary airline and have to use flight info for the other airline.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you booked your segments as United flights, then United should be your contact point. United will be able to provide you Lufthansa's record locator, which would be different from theirs. United may even be able to assign your seats.

4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this is correct. Travelocity, United, and Lufthansa all use different code locator numbers. You should be able to get your Lufthansa locator code via either United or Travelocity - you may have to call to get this, if it can't be located online. Once you get the Lufthansa code locator, you can then reserve your Lufthansa seat. And if you want to upgrade your seats, you must do this through either United or Travelocity.

BTW, what is so good about Aegean?:confused:

5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/alliance...y-LIFETIME-Star-Alliance-Gold-Status/711718/1

20K miles gets you three years of Star Alliance gold status with (currently) only one credited flight needed every three years to renew status. That's a free checked bag on US / United, priority boarding, and use of Star Alliance lounges -- including US Airways and United when travelling domestically.

MX and Newscience like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! That's an incredible (60%) discount from the 50K miles travelled annually required by USAriways for gold status! It appears that the "devaluation of the Greek economy" has worked in their favor, in this instance. However, I would wonder about how much longer non-Greeks, say someone based in the US, could have access to this program. Safe travels!

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's more than 60% because you have two years to earn it, it lasts for three years, and you can renew it (at least, with the current rules) with a single 200 mile flight. These have been their terms for a long time and there hasn't been any word about changing the policy. If it does change, I would imagine it would be for renewals, so hopefully one would still have three years of benefits before the change hit you.

Do note, however, that it does not include upgrades on either US carrier.

Newscience likes this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, LarryinNYC,

That is simply amazing! :)

LarryInNYC likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our definition of long time might differ, but Google tells me that Aegean joined *A a little more than three years ago. :)

Maybe in 9,000 PQMs when I reach MM status on UA I will consider directing some revenue flight credits to Aegean, though the benefit for me -- domestic travel UC lounge access -- is probably worth less than the RDMs I will lose in the process.

10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's true, but their program has existed for considerably longer than that, with the same terms.

Definitely not for everyone, but I'm unlikely to earn status on any airline on an annual basis, and certainly not more than silver.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except that those "same terms" back in the day presumably didn't give anyone *G status and thus costly (to Aegean) benefits. Every time you have your shiny *G card swiped at the UC, your Greek benefactors are going to get a bill from UA. :)

12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but it's unlikely they overlooked that fact when they joined Star and they've kept the same terms for a full three years since then.

Yes, their terms are quite generous but I don't see any particular reason to believe a change is imminent (nor, of course, any reason that it isn't, just like with any other program). I don't think there are a bunch of guys sitting around Athens saying "Spiros, where is going all the money? Wait, you don't think it's American Star Golds visiting US Airways clubs, do you?"

At some point they'll at least have to make requalification more difficult. But if I can earn the status under the current terms and keep it for three years it's still likely to be my highest status in any airline program.

13. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, having obtained my record locator for Lufthansa, and having had their support folks walk me through the correct way to access the reservation on their web site, it transpires that for the outbound flight there are only a few middle seats left available to be claimed.

Question: Should I grab one, or am I likely to do better arriving at the airport with my seat unassigned?

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd have to go with the unassigned approach here UNLESS LH is known for IDB'ing folks with no assigned seat in an oversell situation. I don't know their policy on this.

15. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had experience with other airlines that more seats briefly become available on their websites 1-3 days prior to departure. You may want to check periodically.