How to get Lifetime Diamond

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by jbcarioca, Mar 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have happy been a Hilton Diamond member for a very long time. During the last three years I have stayed in Hiltons very little, certainly not enough to justify any Elite status, much less Diamond. Still my account stays Diamond and I get Diamond benefits whenever I am in a Hilton property.

Does anybody know if there is an official Lifetime Diamond status that could explain this? If it is a mistake I am quite lucky, but I suspect there must be another explanation.

I hope some of you know.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't think HH has a lifetime program officially ...

GoodBoy, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having been a Diamond for a "very long time" seems to me to be the key. I hope this apparent "loss of memory" by HHonors will still be a feature when I will no longer be able to travel as extensively on the company's endowment as now can:D

GoodBoy, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had a fairly large spend for a long time, including about five years when i delivered 2000 room/nights per year for them. Still...it would be nice to have their policy be an official one. It might be a bit more motivating.

GoodBoy, uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Codifying something like that can indeed be an incentive. On the other hand, selective doling out of unwritten benefits can cause a loyalty program massive headaches, as members begin requesting such extra-T&C benefits simply because they heard that others have gotten them. It would be tough to justify giving a benefit to some members and not to others if they have equal standing, so, therefore, either give it to all by codifying it or give to none...

From NYC, uggboy, GoodBoy and 2 others like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    esp with places like MP/TOBB ... they'll run into lots of requests

snap, uggboy, GoodBoy and 2 others like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1, even though I am a beneficiary of the current opaque system.

From NYC, uggboy, GoodBoy and 2 others like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anonymity does often encourage people to dissemble, but I wonder how many really outright lie. No way o know, but I suspect not so many...maybe I'm naive.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, Diamonds are forever ;)

10. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The offence and outrage expressed by the over-entitled set sometimes borders on unseemly.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like that one very much, and I had made the same point at TOBB a while back. Unless one has some kind of personality disorder, one would think that anonymity should free people to be their true selves. In other words, when no one knows who you (impersonal "you") are but you still feel compelled to lie, it means that you are necessarily lying to yourself. Hence one of my favorite expressions: "A true mark of character is what one does when no one is watching".

So, I think that I too may be naive, but I am with you in suspecting that there are many more dissemblers than outright liars here...:)

autolycus and jbcarioca like this.
  12. bvan

bvan New Member

Status Points:
    What are benefits for been a Hilton Diamond member?

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  14. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton considers 5-years with them equivalent to a lifetime..

..obviously just kidding as I for one can vouch that this unpunished benefit exist, with very little fanfare - just a letter in the mail thanking you for your loyalty and extending Diamond benefits through 20XX. I have not seen the recognition appear online when signed into HHonors.com. Unfortunately if you earn Diamond during the 5-year window they do not seem to push out 5-year Diamond status extension.

Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh?

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too. I have clearly been extended but I have had no communication about that nor a new credentials set or anything like that.

17. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been diamond for 4 years now. I've never seen a diamond card, last one they mailed me was gold. lol

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I ever had a Diamond card, or if I did it was years ago.

19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently, HHonors will not mail you a membership card if you had opted out of receiving [junk] mail from them. After multiple requests that they send me a membership card were not honored, I got on the horn to try to get to the bottom of it and requested to speak with the 'supervisor'. I asked her why a request as trivial as sending a Diamond member a membership card could not be fulfilled without aggravation. She put me on hold to "investigate" and got back and said: Mystery solved. They could not honor my repeated requests for a membership card because the setting in my profile that I not be sent snail mail superseded my verbal or online requests, resulting in no action being taken. She said that she had fixed that for me, and, apparently she had because I have received Diamond cards the last two years since that call.

Stupid, ey?;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is really silly on some levels, but makes sense on others. The assumption they're making is that if you've opted out of snail mail, it's because you're either very interested in being conservative wrt resource usage, or you just don't like getting snail mail at all. Under both scenarios, not sending the card annually makes sense. The solution would be to allow more granularity wrt to your opting out. Let elite members elect whether they want specific types of mailings, with the status card being one of the options.

Regardless of the options available on their website, an explicit request for a card should trump the "no mailings" box under all circumstances.

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    OTOH who has actually ever needed a card? I no longer carry any of mine, except credit cards and ID's.

autolycus and NYCUA1K like this.
  22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would make sense only if (a) HHonors considers the membership card to be junk mail and (b) the member did not make it clear that s/he did not mind getting the card by snail mail by making the request, sometimes repeatedly.

Good point. The membership card is good only for show off. It has no practical utility.:)

autolycus and jbcarioca like this.
  23. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What doesn't make any sense is the lack of visibility into this setting and required procedure to change it, along with a stored blanket setting overriding an explicit request.

GoodBoy, jbcarioca and autolycus like this.
  24. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, my suggestion is that HHonors is assuming its members who have checked no to mailings consider it junk mail, not that HHonors itself does.

And I agree completely that a request for them to issue a card should trump any settings the member like you had previously set. I even said so in my post that you quoted. ;)

GoodBoy, NYCUA1K and jbcarioca like this.
  25. kimbolletino13

kimbolletino13 New Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know ways to earn more points through Hilton, I currently take surveys through erewards.com and emiles.com... are there anymore ?

Thanks

GoodBoy and jbcarioca like this.