How to get AF F ticket using SkyMiles

Discussion in 'SkyTeam' started by bulaboo, Sep 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Is it possible to book an AF F ticket using SkyMiles?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. No International First of any sort with Skymiles.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, this is impossible at present. DL miles cannot be used for the forward cabin on a flight with first, business and economy cabins.

Frankly, this may be the toughest redeption out there as AF even restricts redemptions in their f cabin just to their high-status elites.

If you meet the criteria (AF gold) and have enough miles (250k for a tatl redemption), the one good bit of news is I don't believe that the awards are not capacity controlled. AF treats them like "anytime" awards.

Af was offering a status match formally earlier this year. I thought about doing it just to get their gold card (and transferring amex points to af) so I could try this out...but let it slip. :( AF may still do status matching upon written request.

mynameismud and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs jb is AF gold and we have upgraded to F a few times with no problem at all, including the A380. If the seats are open you can get them on AF. However, Af has few AF seats, only nine on the A380, for example, so it works mostly at off times. I haven't figured out how to use DL miles for that. AF has little use for Diamonds, but they are kind to AF Golds. Actually they have an odd scheme that allows domestic Gold but international Platinum . It is slightly complex but the thresholds are lower for non-french residents. treatment within france, however, is based on domestic, not international, status. I guess this is OT for DL.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    DL doesn't allow international F redemptions, period.

Air France F isn't all that, anyway. (Though it's a lot better than their painful J seat.)

rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    AF F in A380 is at least as good as LH IME, although no match for SQ suites or CX F either. OTOH, AF F and LH F are both quite available these days with discounted fares too, at least in my market.

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you flown their most recent F offering?

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about Gleff but i really like their A380. Lower deck F, nine seats and huge lavatories, excellent food and beverage.

Gaucho likes this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my 6 or 7 times in AF TATL J, I've never seen F full. Sounds like you (or the Mrs) has more data points than me, however.

Could you explain what you mean by "treatment within france, however, is based on domestic, not international status'?

It is only 40k EQPs required for Gold....hmmm...

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have not flown F on the A380 and did not realize that it was updated? F on the 777 is pretty antiquated, zero privacy.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is slightly bizarre, however, the status one earns abroad at reduced levels with Flying Blue applies only when you are outside Metropolitan France. Within Metropolitan France you have the status you would have had you been a resident of France all the time. Clear? I did not think so.

NYBanker likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some people have reported success in using DL SWUs to upgrade into AF IFC, IIRC from full J fares. YMMV.

jbcarioca and NYBanker like this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is odd. Prevents BA style Eurocheats.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is pretty cool.

Do the upgrades get processed by AF or DL?

MSPeconomist and jbcarioca like this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume the same way that AF upgrades using DL instruments would be processed for premium economy to affaires.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I totally forgot that one, MSPeconomist. I did that once and it was easy, although it did take some conversation. IIUC it will only work US-France and probably not elsewhere. That was the only US-France AF flight I have had. I cannot try it out of GIG because they have no FC on the GIG-CDG flights.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about others, but mine was on DL stock. In the US it may not matter because the same call centers and staff service both airlines.

MSPeconomist and NYBanker like this.
  18. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    What Champagne does AF serve in their F cabin on long haul international routes...??

MSPeconomist and jbcarioca like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Billecart-Salmon. For food
    Joël Robuchon, Guy Martin, and Jacques Le Divellec jointly designed the FC menu. I know some people like to denigrate AF, but I suspect they've not flown the A380 in F. IMHO that is easily equal to LH, and better than SQ or EK for food, though EK does pour the Dom Perignon like there is no tomorrow. AF does not have suites, but I am always with Mrs jbc and we quite like to be together.

techguru and MSPeconomist like this.
  20. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah AF F food is great J is pretty so-so -- even Michelle does a better job on Delta. I like Swiss, SQ, LH, and BA better in F and in J than AF...

21. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew AF J (777 and 380) TATL last week. I was very pleased; probably the only thing that was a let down was the second meal offering on the CDG-JFK flight. It was a very light snack, at best....and made with some less than middle-of-the-fairway ingredients. Except for that snack, I generally find AF's food offerings to be very good.

The J seats are angled lie-flats...but with plenty of food room and decent length...more so than J on the much-vaunted LH. I prefer these seats to the staggered J lie-flat configuration. AF service was pleasantly attentive; very willing to tackle custom requests, etc.

Their F cabin is light on privacy based on the many of the current competitive offerings, but from passing through it, the cabin had a very nice and clean feel.

22. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    My, I find AF J seats really uncomfortable and can't think of a single true flat bed J seat that I don't prefer over AF's seat.

I find the food decent but highly varied by station, the meals ex-IAD aren't good at all.

Yes, agree completely, I personally prefer privacy but I do find the AF F cabin quite aesthetically appealing.

23. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what makes a market!

I prefer the BA j seats, KE/QF lie flats and herringbone over AF's angled lie-flats...but I find those staggered j seats to bevery constraining down by my feet.