How to get a 25,000 award ticket with Delta

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by kristenlee0520, Apr 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I haven't book an award ticket in years. It used to be there were an abundance of flights to choose from but I've only been able to find 40,000 for domestic flights!! I'm attempting to book a ticket in sometime between July and September. My dates are flexible as well as my departure and arrival cities. Traveling from FLL, PBI or MIA and Arriving in BTM, BZN or HLN. I'd even go to Orlando for 25,000 miles. I've tried every combination and I'm just not finding anything. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Gargoyle, Cholula, misman and 2 others like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all, welcome to MP and sorry for your frustration, which is commonly experienced by DL FFs.

If you look in the DL forum here, you'll find several threads giving advice on how to find and book DL award tickets. Are you explicitly looking for alternative routes and connection points? Originating in Florida, you're likely to be thinking ATL (and delta.dumb could well only be searching for ATL connections), but going through MEM if possible could have greater availability.

If you have any status with DL, be sure you're logged in when searching as DL makes more seats available as domestic coach awards for elites. If you're PM or DM, you could book something and keep looking, adjusting and perfecting your ticket continuously until your departure date, but the $150 cancel/redeposit fees make this strategy infeasible for others.

BWIflyer, Mikel and NewGamePlus like this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. Glad to see you found us.

Unfortunately, Delta is one of the worst airlines to try and find 25K seats. As MSPeconomist said, head over to the Delta forum and look at suggestions there. When you are searching, make sure you look by segment and look at alternate routings that may not be as popular.

Also, make sure you have read this thread: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/newbies-guide-to-award-booking-without-elite-status.4124/

Good luck.

4. Thank you for the suggestions...I'll try and look for MEM connections- good tip. I've taken this route several times in the past and previously had no trouble. The typical route was FLL-ATL-SLC-BZN with the SLC connection being so close I've made it on the plane but my bag hasn't (4x, but who's counting???) Anyway, then they made the FLL-SLC connection available awhile back and that's been the route I've taken, but nothing out there right now.

Cholula and Mikel like this.
  5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might also find Low F seats when Low Y is not available. FLL-MSP-BZN is available in F for 45K on 8/24-8/31, for example.

6. jumpdogjump
    Original Member

jumpdogjump Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, Man - I was hoping for another "Trick it!" thread.:eek:

7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not a chance;)

8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The trick is, don't fly delta ;)

9. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I haven't got a 25K DL domestic award ticket since 2003. That was when I went to the Freddies in COS. DL is not easy to get a low mileage award. Mid/high status helps some.

That is one reason I have 900K on AA and 97K on DL. (most of that was NWA & DL merger into DL).

I would suggest using partners like AS. I took a look last year & I was able to find 2 FC saver tickets LAX-ANC. Didn't use those but with the DL's no expiration date on miles, I'll wait for another opportunity. At least I can go nonstop LAX-DTW if I want to see family & don't have to fly Spirit.

Mikel likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the OP needs to leave from a Florida airport. Does AS fly there?

While DL miles don't expire now, they are certainly subject to inflation. It might not be wise to hold on to them too long as the mileage requirements for award tickets could go up again. I'd be tempted to either get two nice domestic FC tickets at 45K each or top up the account and look for a 100K BE ticket to somewhere in Europe if your time is flexible. Try either off-season, new/unpopular routes, or a last minute trip.

11. Depends on where you fly. One tip I read from flyertalk is to book close to your departure date and be flexible! I booked a rt ticket from tpa to lga 2 weeks ago for today's departure for 25k.

Gargoyle, Cholula and misman like this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure whether it's mentioned in other posts, but I suggested above that one consider "a last minute trip." Unfortunately this doesn't work for everyone; perhaps vacation time off from work must be scheduled in advance or hotel rooms must be reserved in advance for the city/dates.

13. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
  14. Was able to book a AS ticket MCO-SEA for 25K last year about 8 days out. It allowed me to finally cleanse all remaining NW/Delta Miles. Never again will I put miles into that program..

15. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is really a crap shoot to do it close in. I (PM) booked a 25k flight about 8 weeks out. It had the typical DL reward requirement of flying through ATL and minimum of 2 connections. I checked multiple times a day up to the day of departure and never found another 25k ticket.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can work for a last-minute fling, when the trip is optional, but if you need to go or must make arrangements in advance, it won't work often enough to be worth the risk.

17. Also, check the current price of flights, sometimes it may be better to use Pay with Miles and pay an extra $10 or so to redeem an award flight that might cost 40k.

SC Flier likes this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pay with Miles, which IIRC requires a DL credit card, can work when tickets are cheap in money but expensive in miles. It can also be a way to get rid of orphan miles, but if pay with miles is used for any part of the price of the ticket, all of the flights are treated like an award ticket for upgrade (elite only on domestic, no companions at all) and miles earning (none, not status miles and not redeemable miles) purposes.

19. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, DL skymiles don't expire now so....switch to Star or Oneworld...and wait for the day when you can burn the last worthless skypesos.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Skypesos are subject to inflation too, so that if you wait long, it will require even more miles for an award ticket.

21. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I know. I more meant it as a "continually search for a bookable flight with the SM" until you can find a way to burn them, but yeah, don't sit on them.