How to get 70K+ AA miles FAST

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by lohoATX, Jul 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. lohoATX

lohoATX New Member

Status Points:
    I travel fairly frequently and am Gold status on AA, but due to some family travel issues earlier this year, have found myself short 70 - 80K miles to use for a family vaca I'm trying to book asap. It's not worth buying them; that's almost the same cost as the tickets themselves. And b/c I try to concentrate most of my travel on AA, I've got relatively low miles on other airlines, so a trade on something like points.com is out.

Ever heard of making an agreement on an advance? I.e., if someone has a boatload of AA miles they don't plan to use for a while, they'd "loan" them to me, then I'd repay them as soon as I've re-accumulated those points over the next months (which is a sure-thing).

I haven't see any place where agreements like this have been structured. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much for your insights.

wijomas and marcwint55 like this.
  2. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have status? Lots of fares out there to china and Singapore under 5cpm that could yield lots of miles

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Credit card bonus?

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never heard of such an arrangement.

I have heard reports of individuals reporting on TOBB being a few hundred miles short and AA granting grace to elites, but certainly not thousands or tens of thousands of miles.

Unless AA someday starts loAAn AA miles, you'll need to find a way to earn them through whatever means.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Welcome to Milepoint. I think it would be next to impossible to do a trade for miles with someone unless you know someone that will do that for you. There are some good credit card bonuses out there and several members of a family can each get a card giving you lots of miles if you can meet the minimum spend.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    But not all in one account which can make booking the awards much more challenging.

7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have stated your options are to fly or apply for credit cards with the goal of earning the sign up bonus. Lucky for you Citibank has two cards available right now with enough sign up bonuses to get you were you need to go see:
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/beyondTravel/creditDebit/main.jsp
    One the visa earns 30,000 points after meeting the minimum spend, another the MasterCard earns 40,000 after meeting the minimum spend, plus you will earn one point per dollar for the minimum spend money.

Historically people could get two cards on the same day, I don't know if that still works, but if it does the system was to do one application in one web browser and a second application in another web browser, or use private browsing. You can Google "two browser trick" and find details.

Otherwise as THREEA4ME you could fly, as that user stated you will pay something like 5 cents per mile if you find the right flight with the right bonuses (if you have status it helps decrease the price per mile).

anileze likes this.
  8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, the two/three browser trick is dead. General rule now seems to be to apply for one card and wait 24 hours then apply for another. But I'd poke around BoardingArea or something, probably look at MMS' blog before I did anything.

Espan, iolaire and boondr like this.
  9. loadedquestion

loadedquestion Member

Status Points:
    There is a 50k one floating around that you can space one week between applications but you would have to meet the spending requirements.

boondr likes this.
  10. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fidelity still hands out 50k AA miles with $100K transfered in of stock/cash!

11. jcmitchell21

jcmitchell21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any such agreement would be an informal one. I made a similar one with a cousin. He was headed to Hawaii and only had AA miles with no availability. I booked WN and HA to get him there and he agreed to let me use all his AA miles.

It's just a matter of finding somebody you can trust.