How to get 10k United miles cheaply and quickly

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sunny_sc, Nov 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm about 10k United miles short for an award after transferring in everything I've got from UR points. Is there any other way to get these miles cheaper than purchasing from the United website at $375?

Thanks!

8MiHi likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    8MiHi and sunny_sc like this.
  3. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. lightangel

lightangel Silver Member

Status Points:
    apply for an INK bold/plus card
    you get 25k after first purchase

merice107 likes this.
  5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could transfer in from a hotel program using the current UA promo... may not be the best use of points, but if you need them quick.....

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to buy them direct from UA you can also do that for less than 3.75 cents each by booking a ticket and then doing the Award Accelerator option. UR points will be cheaper still, but no sense in paying extra for United points.

8MiHi, boondr and desamo like this.
  7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen those as low as 1.8 to 2.2 cpm's...I always "stock up" at those rates ;)

8MiHi likes this.
  8. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are lots of fun MRs you can look into if you have the time and look into the award accelerator option suggested by WA above. If you have elite status the bonus can make the price per mile appreciably better, too. I am flying an MR (EWR-SFO-PHX-IAH-EWR) for $280, using my CC to get over 8500 RDMs plus 5625 PQMs. I am sure there are even better runs available if you look. There are whole threads related to MRs on MilePoint with real pros giving advice.

edekba likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If it is just RDMs you're after then it is pretty hard to beat the 1,8-2cpm rate of buying them outright. Even the above MR is 3.2cpm. It also includes PQMs which definitely adds value but if those aren't part of the equation just buying them miles isn't nearly as bad a deal as it used to be.

8MiHi and edekba like this.
  10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can suggest a few ways to get the miles you need cheaply. I can suggest many more options for you to get them quickly. I can suggest little at this time of year to get them cheaply and quickly. The best bet I know of is to watch the weekly specials and try to do it in chunks of weekend trips, not one RT flight. But then there is the nasty issue of needing a place to stay and a way to get around. Premier Status travel is not for the budget weary. :(

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The OP doesn't need status nor PQMs; they just need some RDMs. The era where weekend specials were a better RDM value than buying outright has long since passed.

8MiHi likes this.
  12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    None of them originate where I live, but I've seen some rather attractive deals from time to time when scanning the emails. The RDM part just hit me, though. I'm always thinking "Status!" :cool:

8MiHi likes this.
  13. hooterbif

hooterbif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently applied for the Ink Plus card, and the offer was 50,000 points after $5K spend in 3 months, so I am not sure that the first-purchase bonus is still being offered.

14. dildooba44

dildooba44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you do the Accelerator thing and then cancel the ticket? That easy? Could I just book/buy/cancel over and over up to an award amount or is there a limit? I need 110K and at 2 cpm that's only $2200, a great deal for business class. (UA is offering me 2 cpm on my current itinerary)

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup.

No limit that I'm aware of.

8MiHi and dildooba44 like this.
  16. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't try it, but my buddy was only able to do it twice before the option stopped showing up. This could have been a glitch. Ymmv.

The key is booking a really long multi segment trip, like a 4+ leg trip to SEA without a major hub like Penang. :)

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Twice on the same PNR or only twice ever in their account??

My expectation is that you'd keep booking new PNRs to buy against so you'd never "expire" out any one reservation.

18. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    PNR. After buying once he had to change a segment an was able to buy again which he did. But changed it again because of another change on airline side but it didnt have another option to buy.

19. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been able to buy twice after a significant change, too. Only the one time, though.

20. lightangel

lightangel Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, the 50k bonus should be 25k after first purchase and 25k after meeting spending limit.