How to Fly V.I.P., Perk by Perk

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Jun 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYT: How to Fly V.I.P., Perk by Perk

Hi All,
    This article provides a rundown of possibiliities on obtaining upgrades, better seats (at a price, of course) in economy, lounge access, etc. for non-elite passengers. AA, DL, WN, US, and UA are covered.

One thing that stood out to me was the credit cards. I know many of us know the airlines do try to hawk their respective cards, but it seems benefits of having cards for whatever airline you choose may be appealing to "regular" passengers. I know for DL folks there are many complaints that having an AMEX is not much different than being an FO...minus access to some seats (especially exit rows) and mileage bonuses.

:)

2. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please keep positing these reminders as I forget to check the NYT Travels action weekly.

rwoman and perryplatypus like this.
  3. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice article.

I thought that it was interesting that the author mentioned the bit about first class upgrades from full or near full coach fares. It's been my recent observation (at least on DL and AA) that the Y is almost always more than say an A fare (YUP) on DL or one of AA's First Class specials. When DL offers the chance to "flex this fare to Y or B" or "upgrade this fare" the "flex" is almost always substantially more. I've used the A fares a few times on DL as they're often just a few hundred bucks more than the KLUTE fares.

I wish there was an a la carte way to purchase SkyPriority!

rwoman and perryplatypus like this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting that the $50 Admirals Club Fee can also be a $99 30 days. And would the $99 Monthly fee also include the Arrivals lounge in LHR. Just in case my plans send me that direction. (Since I am not even close to any elite level and would not probably be paying for FC or even Business Class on a flight)

rwoman likes this.
  5. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd quibble with "Preboarding is available for $9," because, to my understanding (happy to be corrected), "preboarding" is being boarded before boarding starts, while "early boarding" is being boarded some point early in the process (after boarding starts but before general boarding). I believe what AA sells is boarding after elites but before general boarding. However, true preboarding is part of AA's Five Star service, which the article doesn't make clear.