How to find free Wi-Fi during your holiday travels

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Nov 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=CE59186D-A925-CD7A-A84B9FD78C02E3F0

A public Wi-Fi access point is like a public restroom. All kinds of businesses along travel routes offer restrooms to bring in customers. They offer free Wi-Fi for the same reason. The fact is, finding Wi-Fi on the road has become a lot easier over the past ten years. You just have to know where to look for it.

Ronald will hook you up: As you get out into the sparsely populated areas on the way to grandma's house, the McDonald's at the end of an interstate off-ramp might be your best chance for connecting to the Internet. The chain offers free Wi-Fi in more than 11,500 of its restaurants. In some cases, you need only pull into the parking lot to get in range of the network. In most cases you'll reach a McDonald's splash page, and just have to click through to connect.

It's no surprise to find a McDonald's within the cluster of gas stations, hotels, and truck stops at many interstate off-ramps. But over the past five years, I've noticed a lot more Starbucks along interstates and freeways. There are now 7,000 Starbucks stores offering free Wi-Fi from Google or AT&T.

McDonald's and Starbucks might be your best bet on the road, but there are other choices. You can also find free Wi-Fi at KFC, Taco Bell, Denny's, Dunkin' Donuts and Burger King.

Read More: http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=CE59186D-A925-CD7A-A84B9FD78C02E3F0

uggboy, MSYgirl and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this, sobore! Some airports have had free WiFi for the longest time, including LAS and BDL. I'm pretty sure that WiFi is now free at BWI also. And I suspect that Milepointers could add a few more airports to the list of those providing free WiFi! ;)

uggboy and sobore like this.
  3. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    SIN and AUS have free computers with internet connections.

Some state tourist info places along the road offer free wifi.

Caribou coffee has free wifi. I suspect the same is true for Starbucks.

Newscience likes this.
  5. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    SIN has free wifi and computer terminals for use. KUL has free wifi but limited time. I wasn't able to reconnect after the time was up.

HKG and TPE have free wifi too.

Newscience likes this.