How to find custom tailor in Bangkok

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sembrown, Jul 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sembrown

sembrown New Member

Status Points:
    Everyone knows that Bangkok is the famous destination to shop custom tailored garments but the important question is that how to find best one among all custom tailors. So if anyone have suggestion then help me to find them.

uggboy, Sweet Willie and marcwint55 like this.
  2. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is the "best" will probably garner as many opinions as there are respondents to the question - everyone has different experiences and preferences. I can recommend Tailor on Ten based on personal experience with them last year (1 suit, 3 pairs of pants). Easy to work with, detailed consultation, good selection of fabrics, etc. Not the least expensive option, but good quality that lasts. The garments I had made there are part of my everyday work wardrobe.

uggboy likes this.
  3. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used the one in Nana Plaza. Sorry I can't remember the name, but the suits and sport coats have lasted me for years. There was a write-up about them in the Washington Post a few years ago. It is where most of the US Embassy personnel go to have their clothes made.

4. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Bangkok, custom tailor finds you!

Kidding aside, there is some info over on this site that may be useful...

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has been a few years, but I used a tailor called Andy's Tailors. He was fantastic and very honest. If you can find him, I highly recommend using him.

uggboy and sembrown like this.
  6. ashgabatflyer

ashgabatflyer Active Member

Status Points:
    I have had suits made at several tailors in Bangkok. I would recommend Rajawongse Clothier at 130 Sukhumvit Road, next to the Landmark Hotel. Tel: 0-2255-3714/5. They do good work and seem to have lots of clients. I am always remembered when I walk into the shop.

uggboy likes this.
  7. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are all pretty low quality compared to your off the rack,suits at Nordstrom or Brooks bros, much less a decent custom product. I would not bother with any of them.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Dumammy

Dumammy Active Member

Status Points:
    Have had several suits, shirts made at Baron's on Sukumvit across from Landmark Hotel. Prices in general are not like they used to be and always bargain.

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed !

uggboy likes this.
  10. foodieontour

foodieontour Active Member

Status Points:
    The most comprehensive information I know (and contributed to) is here (sorry I am not allowed to post a link... google: Flyertalk & Bangkok & tailors)
    A kind of wiki is now at beginning of the thread but I would highly recommend to read big chunks of the thread, since a few people posted really valuable information... inside a lot of crap like (Oh I love that guy, he has a picture of President Bush on the wall, he remembers my name... and so on... usually signs to leave the place immediately)

1. In general a recommendation of ONE tailor or even a few really good ones is simply not possible (I would dare to but then they would work for my level of experience probably not for the next person).
    2. everything is about expectation !!! If you have none, you might be very happy with the result (I wouldn't)
    3. everything else is about the body you bring to that... ;) (simple figures "I"-type and big guys "O"-type make most of the customers and are often well off)
    4. without knowledge what to get in terms of style, button, fit etc. (best would be experience in your home country with at made to measure) you are pretty a total noob and a victim in that business. Do not rely on the Tailor and his recommendations!!! Bring a friend or better a woman with you for the first decision making and the later fittings.
    5. Quality has it's price... even in Bangkok. The fabric alone makes a huge chunk of the price. So IMO a 10.000-15.000 baht suit can be done and might be fun but will not last long (if worn on a regular basis).
    6. Suit for
    (a) business? (needs to comfy for up to 14h per day)
    (b) looking hot/sharp? (usually tight fit for that one date / interview / making an impression -> that is very hard to achieve)
    (c) special occasion (wedding, funeral - usually the lowest standard... just has to be good for a few times)
    ... all categories demand different qualities and styles... and different level of knowledge/experience
    7. I will not go into the making of the inner layer, below 40.000 THB everything is glued usually and no horse hair base, forget all that if you go for cheap
    ...same goes for the fabric, which is a science in itself
    8. you need at least (enough time for) 3 fittings. I usually demand at least 5, even when the fit is near perfect from the beginning.
    9. The whole process is a question of time, at least 4-5 weeks should be considered
    10. That does not mean, that it is not possible to get a decent result with two fittings in 5-7 days... depending on the eye of the tailor and the workload of his sweatshop... but you have to be lucky and do not expect any amazing result
    11. That said it is possible to get a very affordable priced and remarkable good looking suit... but it takes enough time

-> it is a triangle with price, quality and time in every corner... you can only go to one side and focus on two of that... the third will always come short

uggboy, sembrown and dkelly1110 like this.
  11. sembrown

sembrown New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your attention what you all think about Marty's New Fashion tailor because my relative have great experience about custom tailor in Bangkok and they recommend me for this one. I saw the clothes tailored by Marty new fashion tailor and it looks awesome in design and quality.

uggboy likes this.
  12. foodieontour

foodieontour Active Member

Status Points:
    If you got a trusted recommendation and a reference you like, that is a good start.
    Next step is to work out what you want.
    1. If you are an experienced suit wearer, you probably have some idea what cut/style you like, buttons, pockets, lenghts, fits, slits, crotch... and on and on
    2. If you are not experienced, get that idea of what you like & want.
    -> Go try on suits in your home town.
    -> See in what area a custom made suit would be a better solution... or maybe you are fine with one from a rack (in that case you should stick with that)
    -> try on different styles
    -> be sure a) how much & b) what occasion you would wear that suit. It is a huge difference what suit I wear for work days and the one I wear when going out or want to look sharp

Generic Tips:
    -> tight / loose fit ---> actually the pants should always by on the tight side (around your butt and legs) if you do not have a body where you would like to hide a few pounds
    ---> the jacket can be somewhat tight, since you can and mostly take it off for long periods of wearing
    ---> leaves you with the shirt, here lies the magic. For (whole) business (days) is should be comfortable and has enough space to lift you arm or stretch... For just going out, the girlfriend would be happy to see it tightly glued to your body... which is not wise, since most shirts shrink a bit with washing..
    ...so go figure that out and make a plan before you approach your tailor of choice!
    btw: it might be a good idea to visit (or even try a suit from) one of the "Made to measure" guys in your home country. They start in Europe with decent prices (around 400 €) which is also cheap fabric but a great way to learn fast. These guy speak your language and are often more familiar with the common "style" of your area.
    I always recommend to do as a first suit a simple black one for formal wear. Nobody cares how your suit looks at a funeral or the wedding (attention to the bride please) and the potential damage in the learning process is low.
    A no brainer and quite common tip is to order two pants... if you are planning to wear that suit a lot. Usually the pant is the one breaking down or getting damaged first, while the Jacket live a long time.
    Always pick a quality dry cleaner!!! And always give up pants and Jackets together. They loose color with time and a difference between jacket and pant is embarrassing (IMO)

Happy hunting!

uggboy likes this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    About Again, uggboy and Newscience like this.