How to fill 5 hours at LHR

Discussion in 'LHR/LGW/LCY/LTN/STN | London Area Airports' started by tcook052, Oct 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This lowly non-elite is flying back from CDG to YEG via LHR next June and has a 5 hour connection at LHR and an wanting ideas how to fill that time.

I'm starting my trip in London so am not inclined to zip into the city for a few hours and being a non-elite can't access any of the airline lounges. Are there any public premium lounges I can pay to enter?

I arrive into Terminal 2 at almost noon and depart at 5:30 PM so it will be daytime and now some crazy overnight connection so things should be open. I have dined at Gordon Ramsay's Plane Food restaurant and will be flying out of Terminal 5 but that would only fill 60-90 minutes leaving me with over 4 hours. Any other diversions at Terminal 5 I missed last time through?

I'd appreciate any input as it's somewhere in between a long layover that I'd feel more comfortable going into the city and a short connection that goes by quickly. Thanks!

2. Rom Sac
    Original Member

Rom Sac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd think about going to a nearby town. I personally find Windsor and Eton worth a visit.

MSPeconomist and milchap like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be my suggestion

Would it be worthwhile to join or otherwise obtain Priority Pass credentials?

4. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What airline are you taking home?

5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Windsor isserved by a number of bus routes and frequent services operate from Heathrow Airport, with buses up to every 30 minutes . All buses from Heathrow depart from the Terminal 5, linked to the Central Bus Station by a free shuttle service .

rwoman likes this.
  6. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have some thanks to Diners Club membership here in Canada though am on the verge of cancelling my card as the Bank Of Montreal has taken over managing DC and I dislike them with a passion so will probably cancel the card.

I hadn't thought of Windsor and that may be a nice afternoon outing nearby.

7. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA LHR-YYC

8. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate leaving the airport as it is just another chance to get into trouble and miss a connection. That said, there are lots to see at the airport and in terminal 5B and perhaps the connected hotel there are spas. I'd check them out, see whether there is an art display, power walk for an hour, etc. There is good shopping at the airport.

You have 5 hours. If you go outside, you need to allow two hours to return to be safe. Assuming that it takes you 30 minutes to go from plane to curb, another hour or more minutes to get to/from Windsor, you have 1.5 hours to tour and eat at most.

If you stay you have 5 hours to kill. Assuming you want to be at the gate 30 minutes early and it takes 30 minutes to get off the plane and into the main part of the airport, that leaves you 4 hours. A leisurely meal takes up an hour. That leaves you 3 hours. Get that message and read a good book.

Going to Windsor sounds like more fun if you are adventurous. Also, it is less risky that the airport shops for me if my wife is along.

FlyingFree likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you stay at the airport, check out using the Yotel for a day room and shower.

KyRoamer likes this.
  10. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just might as I booked a client one recently while they were transitting to NBO and had 12+ hours. I'm kind of curious to check it out being a TA, though won't need it as much as on some long haul connections I've made in LHR as I'm flying in from CDG and will still be fairly "fresh". A good idea nonetheless. :)

11. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the same situation as the OP. Flying YYZ- LHR and then LHR-BLR. Five hours in T5, no status :(. If anyone can add some suggestions to what has been previously posted, it would be most appreciated. If by chance you are in T5 on Feb 24 and would like to invite a guest into a lounge, it would be greatly appreciated!

canucklehead likes this.
  12. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, that 5 hours is enough time to dare a trip out from the airport, but perhaps not enough to leisurely enjoy it. If you just need to get out of the airport, you can take any of public buses (free within the airport area) to any nearby pub for a drink, pub grub, etc.

OR, if you think you might be needing a stay credit/night at your hotel program of choice, grab a day rate at your chain's airport location. Sure, you may not need the freshening up with no longhaul involved, but if you think you might end the year a few nights/stays shy, couldn't hurt to grab one now.

chef4u likes this.
  13. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where can I find 'day rates' and which hotel chain might you recommend?

Skye1 likes this.
  14. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    it's an option if there is a particular hotel chain that you may use in your business and/or leisure travel, that you accumulate nights/stays with, for that chain's frequent traveller program. So, if part of the goal of grabbing a nap during a layover is to accrue hotel points whilst you're at it, then I'd reccomend whichever is your primary or secondary hotel chian that you usually use. If that doesn't apply, no worries, then getting an extra night/stay credit is a moot point, and you'd likely go with whichever/whatever is cheapest. There's the in-airport "Yotel", with it's modern cubicles, then there's loads of budget options around heathrow. For me, when I "need" an extra stay credit/ my hotel chain is Starwood/SPG, and I've had no trouble grabbing a day rate for under £40. If not posted on the hotel/hotel chain's website, these might be avaibile with a call to same.

15. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!

16. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Sofitel connected to T5 has a spa and gym to consider. Their day rate is higher than an SPG offsite but no shuttle time needed. While you may have 5 hours you need to consider boarding gate and whether a bus or transit train is needed. My BA flight to PHL loves to change gates, either requiring bus to plane or transit train to the other T5 terminal each requiring extra time. Despite flying thru LHR T5 a few times a year I still have run a few times!
    Side note, if you like wine there is a good high end wine only area on the ground floor near the candy/registers - I pick up a vintage Rioja each time I travel T5

17. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a BA lounge guesting thread on FT and there's a calendar on ba97.com. You just might get lucky and get someone to guest you in via one of those. Perhaps there should be a guesting thread on MP too. I don't think I'd bother to leave the airport for a 5 hour layover.

Newscience likes this.
  18. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an 8 hour, 30 minute LHR layover later this month and I'm debating whether to stay and enjoy the Concorde Room ;) or take the Tube into London for a good lunch and to pick up some of my favorite Fortnum and Mason tea...

Newscience likes this.
  19. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a great idea! Thanks for suggesting!

FlyingFree likes this.
  20. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given all the shops in LHR, it's hard to believe that Fortnum and Mason tea isn't available at the airport!

FlyingFree likes this.
  21. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    In previous trips through LHR I have not seen it, but it's been a few years since I've been through there and I've been told F&M tea is being sold in one of the duty-free shops.. This report may or may not be accurate...

Newscience likes this.