How to file a complaint with United? Denied boarding

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by mtnative, Jan 16, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. mtnative

mtnative New Member

Status Points:
    On Dec 19, my family and I were confirmed to fly Sacramento to Nurnberg, Germany via a codeshare between United and Lufthansa, connecting in SFO to Lufthansa.

When we arrived at SFO, as we tried boarding, we were told that 2 of us had our reservations cancelled by United. Our family was separated and half of us (husband and daughter 2) flew to Germany while the other half (me and daughter 1) were left at SFO to sort out the mess.

I am beyond frustrated. Lufthansa insists United canceled our reservation. United says Lufthansa did it. There is compensation due passengers for denied boarding and I am trying to go through the proper channels.

I filed a claim with the EU governing body and got a response saying I needed to receive a denial by the carrier, in writing, before they could get involved. I filed a claim online with Lufthansa and got an auto email back with a ticket number so I know they at least have the claim. I really believe that it's United's fault and I am trying to file a claim with them however, the only way this can be done, apparently, is via the online customer support portal. Every time I try submitting, the site times out and it never goes through. I resorted to posting on FB and a United rep got back saying they are experiencing technical problems and their IT group is "on it". That was a week ago.

Any thoughts on how I can pursue this? Really burns me that I can't get an acknowledgement that they screwed up.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also file a complaint with the DOT.

4. mtnative

mtnative New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. The link is the same link I've tried countless times and when I hit the "submit" button, it just goes into an infinite loop of processing.

I'll try the snail mail address and possibly DOT.

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Send it certified mail return receipt requested

Counsellor likes this.