How to estimate cost of multi-destination ticket?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by NYC_Gal, Oct 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    My friend is asking a very generic question. If he wants to hit, say 20 locations, how much will the plane tix cost. He needs to go back and forth (instead of one direction), so RTW tix may not be applicable. Is there a website that can plan that (other than Orbitz...etc)? I would also like to see if the website can tell us if it's better to book one RTW, with side tickets for those backward flights....

Hope this make sense. Thanks in advanced.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if this would work for their purposes, but ITA Software then a travel agent to help actually book it?

3. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it were me, I would look at RTW and circle tickets. Depending on what kind of routing we're talking about, a RTW/circle ticket might save you some money even if it doesn't hit all your locations.

The Star Alliance has a tool on their site that helps route and price RTW/circle fares.

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think, but I'm not sure, when combining multiple legs like that, the cost is determined by adding the individual fares for each leg. These individual fares are calculated as 1/2 the round-trip fare, so it's like a really complicated open jaw without the added expense of several one-way fares.

For example, if RT fares are:
    SFO-HKG-SFO $1000
    HKG-NRT-HKG $400
    NRT-BKK-NRT $600
    BKK-DEL-BKK $400
    DEL-SFO-DEL $1200

Then you will pay for the following OW fares:
    SFO-HKG $500
    HKG-NRT $200
    NRT-BKK $300
    BKK-DEL $200
    DEL-SFO $600

For a total of $1800 + taxes and fees. Sometimes this can be very advantageous when you only get charged a single fuel surcharge (YQ) instead of one for each leg.

5. Navysuby3

Navysuby3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great information, as one sometimes gets confused starting out. Thanks.

6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't you just go to kayak.com, hit multi-city and just build an itinerary for them to suggest and price?

iansr likes this.