How to Easily Redeem Barclaycard Arrival Miles for Travel

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jul 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    I am in the Austrian Airlines business class lounge waiting for my flight and it’s a perfect time to tie up a few loose ends from my trip to Prague and Vienna. A full trip report is coming… once I get home, of course! First on the agenda is to redeem my Barclaycard Arrival miles for my travel expenses.

Barclaycard Arrival miles can be used for any travel expense by simply paying for it with your card and then redeeming the miles in minutes. We’ve used it for hotels, card rentals, cruises, airline tickets – pretty much anything goes as long as it’s travel. Once the transaction posts, you can then choose to use your miles for that transaction. You don’t even need to have the miles ahead of time. You have 120 days to redeem after your transaction so you can take four months to earn the miles you need. I do, however, recommend paying the expense when the statement is due to avoid interest.

Right now, the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard® is offering 40,000 miles after spending $3,000 within 3 months of account opening. These 40,000 miles can be redeemed as a $440 credit for any travel expense within minutes and I’ll show exactly how. In addition, it earns 2 points per dollar spent on all spending, making the 2.2% cash back card among the highest returns. It’s what I use for all my base spending.

The annual fee of $89 is also waived the first year and, after a year of owning the card, you can downgrade to the regular Barclaycard Arrival (not Plus) without the annual fee.

When I was in Prague, I used a Points and Money award at the Hilton Prague Old Town paying 16,000 points + $75 per night for 3 nights. The rate for the room was about $200 so it was nice to be able to reduce to just $75. I put the final $276.50 bill on my Barclaycard Arrival card and can now use the miles I have to pay for it.

How to Redeem Barclaycard Arrival Miles Easily

To redeem the miles, I just need to log into my online credit card account and select the Rewards tab, which then gives a few options. The one I want is the Travel Statement Credit as it gives the highest value for each point among the options. This allows me to redeem my Barclaycard Arrival miles at 1 cent each and I immediately receive a 10% rebate. As I earn 2 miles per dollar on all my spending, this means I essentially receive 2.2% cash back for all my spending.

[​IMG]
    Redeem for Travel Statement Credits

Once I click on Redeem Now, I see all my eligible transaction that I can use my miles for. These will be all the travel expenses I’ve had in the past 120 days. As I get 120 days to redeem my miles for these expenses, I even have an indicator with the number of days left.

I personally have one expense – the Hilton Old Town Prague. Once I click on Redeem now, I get options for exactly how many points I want to redeem.

[​IMG]
    Travel expenses I can use my miles to redeem

I selected to redeem 27,700 miles for my $276.98 expense. Once these are redeemed, I immediately receive my 10% redemption bonus ready to be used on future travel expenses.

[​IMG]
    Redeeming Barclaycard Arrival miles

My $276.98 bill is now paid for and it only took 3 minutes. No miles are easier to redeem than Barclaycard Arrival miles and that’s why I am glad I have the card.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I do earn a referral commission for successful applications through my website. I always include the best offer I can find regardless of commission. If you decide to use my links, thank you very much for your support!)

Application Link: Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard®

More posts about the Barclaycard Arrival Plus:

The Miles Professor – Taking miles and points to the limit!

The post How to Easily Redeem Barclaycard Arrival Miles for Travel appeared first on BoardingArea.

Continue reading...