How to earn Alaska miles by flying Delta and American

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by vickers, Feb 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good Evening. I fly out of HSV and due to pricing I split my travel between Delta and American. Combined I fly around 35k annually but never hit status due to the split. So I was very surprised when I learned I could use Alaska to earn points and status from flying both Delta and American. But here is my question. How do I do it? On my Delta profile I found a place to add another loyalty number so I added Alaska. I have been unable to find where to add my Alaska number on my AA profile though.

Also, I have to book flights through Orbitz for Business. Will this restrict my ability to credit Delta and AA flights to Alaska?

Sounds like it would be a simple answer but I'm lost.. Any feedback and guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Also what do you all think the risk is that Alaska and American will discontinue this relationship when the AA merger is complete?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    ballardFlyer and adrianors like this.
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you book reservations just choose Alaska air and enter your Alaska number on Delta or AA.

You can also set your Alaska number on Delta or AA when viewing the passenger details for the ticket.

AA's is a little hard to see at first - look in the bottom right corner of the passenger details area for "frequent flyer". Once you open the pop up you will see a drop down with Alaska as a choice. Just enter your number.

Using Orbitz shouldn't affect your ability to credit to Alaska.

It is a great airline and program and once you hit MVP status you can get exit row and some other preferred seats, early boarding, and free checked bags on both AA and Delta.

vickers likes this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I think I do remember a place to manually enter/override a frequent flier program number on the final confirmation page of orbitz for business. I'll check it out on Monday.

And if not using orbitz for business would I book through alaska's site or delta/aa's site? I tried to look at delta's flights on the Alaska app but none were found. It seems the app only pulls alaska's own flights.

Thanks again.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You cannot book DL flights via AS but once you've booked them they can be credited to the AS program. Where you book mostly doesn't matter. Just make sure the correct FF# is in the record to get the points credited where you want them to go.

ballardFlyer and vickers like this.
  5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. What are your thoughts on Alaska continuing to partner with American after the US Air merger?

ballardFlyer likes this.
  6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The partnership with new AA will continue. The delta partnership is much more at risk.

adrianors and vickers like this.
  7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting... Didn't consider that... Is the reason because Delta is making a push into Alaska's territory?

ballardFlyer likes this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always worthwhile, at the airport, to ensure at check-in or with a gate agent that the correct frequent flier number is associated with your flight.

ballardFlyer and vickers like this.
  9. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why that?

ballardFlyer likes this.
  10. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta is significantly building up in Seattle both intl and domestic. Now DL is launching multiple frequencies of new domestic services that directly compete on Alaska's high value routes from SEA while offering tons of targeted ads and incentives to NW flyers.

The partnership benefit for AS is diminished when DL drives it's own domestic feed to instead of pulling from AS.

I expect the DL partnership could be gone by 2015 or the landscape around it shifting very dramatically.

11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Appreciate the insight. Thank you.

ballardFlyer and flyforawg like this.