How to definte codeshare flights for earning elite miles on Continental

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by zenNJ, Sep 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. zenNJ

zenNJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a little confused by how Continental airline determines how you qualify for elite miles on their airline partner.
    I recently had booked a trip on virgin atlantic upperclass (fare class Z) and had thought that i would be able to earn elite miles on continental airline since on their website, they indicated that my fare class would qualify for elite mile (and in fact was suppose to be 150%). They had a small asterisk next to that though which said:

* OnePass Elite qualification miles and points may only be earned on Continental Airlines codeshare flights operated by Virgin Atlantic.

I thought that this just meant that the Virgin Atlantic flight I am on has to be something that is codeshared by Continental - which I had thought just means Continental has an agreement with Virgin and can cross-sell ticket and be able to use reward miles on their flight.

But when I later check my onepass account, I found that they only credit me with miles, but not elite miles. I contacted OnePass to ask clarification and the person there wasn't too helpful and essentially said that they only give elite miles on virgin flights if i had purchased the ticket on Continental website or if the Virgin receipt shows a Continental flight number.

Has something changed since I know at least a few years back, I had actually purchased ticket on EVA and received elite miles on Continental. Later on they changed it so that I would only get miles if i purchase certain fare class on EVA, but at least I could still get miles!

So I was surprised when she told me that i can only earn Continental elite miles on partner airlines if I booked it with Continental. Is this true or is she giving me mis-information?

The only information I can find on their web is this generic info which doesn't really spell out that in order to earn elite qualification, you need to buy the ticket on Continental website -

Every time you fly on a OnePass airline partner in accordance with Continental Airlines' fare tariffs, you earn miles that are credited to your OnePass account and can be used for reward travel. Depending on the airline partner and the fare you purchase, you may also earn Elite Qualification Miles and Elite Qualification Points that count toward Elite Status.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you say that your flight had a codeshare agreement, were you booked on it under the codeshare or not? In other words, did your itinerary and receipt give the flight a CO flight number?

The last paragraph that you quote in bold seems to say that only certain partner flights can earn status miles.

3. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some airlines are partners and some flights by other airlines may be treated as an earning flight. You can call them, or you can look it up on the website. Typically, only codeshare flights will pop up on the website... they will have CO flight numbers.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CO policy historically was only that the VS flight had to also carry a CO code; booking via the CO code was NOT required.

Recently more folks have been reporting that they are no longer getting credit unless the flight is booked as a CO code. I do not know that there has been an official announcement to this effect or even if that change is actually real. But this is not the first report recently of things being a bit different than previously.

5. zenNJ

zenNJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I know is that the flight I was booked is available for booking under Continental website too (it shows it is a virgin flight). But i booked it on virgin website directly and on their website, they didn't indicate that it is codeshared with Continental (since virgin is the actual carrier). But during boarding or at the airport monitor, they would show the flight as both virgin and Continental. Unfortunately, my itineraray/receipt is from virgin and since I am flying their plane, they didn't provide any CO flight number.

Yes only certain partner flights can earn status miles, but from the section on continental airline on virgin, it implied that you can get elite miles on virgin as long as you are flying on certain fare class (which I did) and also is codeshared (and that's the part i get confused since it seems like codeshared means i have to buy it at Continental website as oppose to just fly on a partner flight that has codeshare with continental)

6. zenNJ

zenNJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks. That's good to know, even though it doesn't do my situation any good. I was just wondering if I had completely mis-understood the whole codesharing thing since i was pretty sure that in the past, i was able to get elite miles on partner airlines even though I didn't book it with continental airline directly.