How To Create Your Own In-Flight Map

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Aug 26, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    I love maps and can spend hours dreaming about places to go next or thinking about where I've been. I also love GPS technology, and have had a handheld GPS in one form or another since the early days of the Garmin eTrex (circa 2000). It still amazes me that I can carry around a device that can show me exactly where I'm at on a map. It probably comes as no surprise then that I'm a big fan of real-time flight maps while in the air. When I'm flying over parts of the world that I'm familiar with, I like to see if I can identify the features below, like cities, rivers, or mountains, especially ones that I've climbed. And when I'm in an unfamiliar part of the world, it's nice to get a general idea about I'm looking at. In fact, I'm so fascinated by maps and navigation that when I have an empty seat between my son and I -- as I frequently do on international flights -- I usually set the TV at the empty seat to the map channel so I can glance over at it while watching a movie on my screen. But of course, not all planes have flight maps as part of their inflight entertainment system. For those cases, you need to bring your own. The post How To Create Your Own In-Flight Map appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...