How to confirm a cancelled flight if you can't get through on the phone?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by enichols22124, Feb 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello all,

I have a flight booked to Madrid from Austin. I could not get through on the phone line, but when I looked in the US airways site, it showed that the flight was still on time and not cancelled. I looked in FlightStats.com and it showed ok. I drove down to the airport just to make sure, and at the counter they told me it was cancelled, all legs. So, I rebooked for the following day. Just for fun, I looked online and it still shows the flights as being on time and ready to go. How can you tell, are all the systems just so backlogged that you can't trust the system, or was the counter person just being pre-emptive and guessing that it would go cancelled based on some data she can see but I cannot.

This is an A330-200, so I am guessing it is coming back from Europe. Is there a way to see where the plane really is at this time and track it to the airport. I'm not complaining, at least I have been rebooked. I just want some better tools. If I had not gone to the airport, I would have shown up for nothing but a rebook along with everyone else who is then stuck.

I would love to track the plane, it just seems like that would have been a helpful tool to show me where it is stuck.

Thanks.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    FlightAware may be able to help you track the flight; there is an option to track the inbound at the top of the page under the flight number. Were you supposed to be on US740 today? That plane is out over the Atlantic right now. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AWE740/history/20140212/2345Z/KPHL/LEMD

AA and UA both have native tools to track the inbound flight as well, FWIW.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes FlightAware is incorrect about what it thinks is the inbound aircraft, but this is usually pretty obvious as the airport can be ridiculously wrong. Before believing it, check aircraft type too and look for a match of incoming gate on the inbound versus departure gate for your flight unless it will be on the ground for a long time and thus possibly towed to a different gate.

I sometimes then check flight status of the inbound flight on the airline website for confirmation.

Many airport websites allow you to check the status for their arrivals and departures, but sometimes you just get a huge list with no easy way to quickly find the flight you want.

4. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, this turned out to be a little mess for me. I drove to the airport, they told me the flight was cancelled, I rebooked it, then I find out the flight was NOT cancelled, then even though I put our seats together on this new flight, *something* would move the seats around into other areas of the plane. I would discover this after a few hours, change the seats back, and then at 3-4am this morning, they did a final move, and put us in the back of the plane, and not next to each other, on both legs of flight, one domestic, one international. When checked in (2 hours early), they told me that never happens, and they didn't do it [really? who did it then, a hacker? :) ]. And, when I checked in, I was moved to the front of the plane suddenly, and the wife was in the last seat of the plane. Nice. On my Madrid leg, we are one row behind the other. Their system must have a million problems when it gets overloaded like this, because I don't tend to see this stuff happen.

Oh well, at least it is clear skies today and I will be on schedule today, just separated. I don't know that I mind *too* much, but the wife is not a FF, and gets a little worked up over these things, requiring some extra glasses of wine be sent to her this valentines day from the other passenger in 32d :)

MSYgirl likes this.