How to Celebrate a Milestone Birthday

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FetePerfection, Mar 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love suggestions for celebrating a milestone birthday next year. My husband and I, within weeks of each other, celebrate our X0 birthday next year and he agreed I could plan whatever and where ever my heart desires. Since we have winter birthdays it makes sense to plan something somewhere warm, however he's been practically everywhere. He thinks Hawaii is boring, the Caribbean and Mexico (been there, done that). I'm trying to come up with an exotic location that doesn't take 12+ hours to get to. MSP is our home. Suggestions?

Mapsmith and gregm like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the summer, go to Constanta, Romania. Great beach town on the black sea. Mamaia is the beach. Or go a little further south to Vama Veche, a great hipster, artsy, slightly partyish tiny town about 5 miles north of the Bulgarian border. Hotels are plentiful in Constanta. Not really much of a hotel in Vama Veche, but you can find places to rent short term.

Mapsmith, MX and FetePerfection like this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on what the 'X' is in the X0 anniversary, you may enjoy differently!

Mapsmith and FetePerfection like this.
  4. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    X = never mind!

5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally against all logic, considering Winter Birthdays. Churchill to see the Polar Bears/Northern Lights? Or for more luxury, how about Reykavik. Sitting in the Blue Grotto watching Northern Lights????

timfrost, gregm, Sweet Willie and 2 others like this.
  6. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:

For a milestone birthday, I took my lovely young wife to Burgundy for two weeks. We held up in an ancient momentary, but its restaurant did have a Michelin star, then I had her picked up each morning to have a personalized tour of the vineyards of Burgundy (both the Côte du Beaune and the Côte du Nuit. We had lunches with wine makers, who were only in her dreams, and most gave her copious birthday presents. That was a complete success, though the weather was very cool and damp - the vines appreciated the weather.

She then reciprocated for me, and took me to Australia for a major wine tour. Not sure who got the best part of that. As we live in Phoenix, AZ, USA, and my birthday is in July, it was Winter in Sydney, so a blessing.

Most of all, enjoy!

Hunt

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    MSP is bad because it's gonna take you a few hours just to get to a coast.

I'd suggest breaking it up into multiple destinations to avoid that 12 hour business... and choose the destination depending on what you like. Head to New York and spend a couple of days, then go out to the Caribbean, Belize, or take a cruise if you want a water / beach type of vacation. Or head West and spend a few nights in LA/SFO then head to Hawaii.

If you want some cultural type of trip then head to Europe instead after NY. You can take a redeye to Paris and spend a few days there, then you're only a 3-4 hour train ride on the TVG to Geneva and a bunch of other destinations.

8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a quick question - which islands have you been to in Hawaii? We "discovered" Kauai about 20 years ago, and keep going back. It's the paradise island where the Hawaiians go on vacation. Maybe we're not so readily bored, but we love the blue waters, green mountains, and laid-back life there. You can always overnight in LA or SF before flying out the islands, if you'd like. If you're willing to not worry about a longer travel itinerary, then perhaps getting to Fiji or Tahiti might do the trick.
    Enjoy!

9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kauai is my favorite as well. Small enough to get anywhere or all over in a reasonable amount of time with plenty of diversity and 'amenities'.

miles and smiles and Mapsmith like this.
  10. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been to Hawaii, only my husband, soooo I might have to make plans to celebrate in Kauai as suggested. Fiji is too far. I like some of the European suggestions, however we're looking at February next year. I'd rather escape brutal weather and enjoy the tropics!

11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    The long trip notwithstanding you might consider Rio - nothing like the CopaCabana beach!

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Mapsmith likes this.
  13. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I have not been, I'd have to second Iceland for the northern lights. It's not terribly far from MSP and if you haven't done it it's supposedly incredible. Not warm, but what the hell, right? :)

Mapsmith likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well do you want to escape brutal weather or do you want proper warm / beach weather, because there's a difference :)

TFS is not that much further from MSP than Hawaii is, maybe an extra 60-90 minutes, and if you break up the flights then you might not even notice. A day or two in New York, maybe a day in Madrid or Lisbon then a few days in the Canary Islands would make for a decent trip.

If you want hot (or relatively warm) beach weather then you can always head to Belize, or Liberia if you want to enjoy some of the nicer resorts in Papagayo. Or St. Lucia. Shouldn't be too terrible of a ride even from MSP proper.

Mapsmith likes this.
  15. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I love Lisbon, a place I've been to but my husband has not. Neither of us have been to Madrid, which I hear is fabulous. Oh man...decisions, decisions.

Mapsmith and viguera like this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it's all going to depend on what type of vacation you want. Madrid in February is not great, with average temperatures rising but usually in the 50-60 degree range. The lows can get serious though, but even though it can be in the high 30s or 40s, it's nowhere near Minnesota weather for February... :)

And like I said, if you want to make it a trip, you can make it a trip. You can do MSP-JFK and sit in New York for a couple of days to avoid the long flights, fly to Lisbon and try to use some Avios to Madrid, take a 3 hour train ride to Barcelona, whatever.

Mapsmith and FetePerfection like this.
  17. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Madrid is wonderful with great food. Then maybe to some of the beaches to get the best of both worlds?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

18. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Soooo...drum roll...we decided on Ireland and Scotland because of their allure and my heritage. My husband has always wanted to visit these countries and I am naturally drawn to my people, so rather than celebrate this birthday in the winter, we'll postpone for summer of 2015. Thanks to all the wonderful suggestions. We may make a stopover in Iceland just for the heck of it. Anyway, I love all the great ideas and personal experiences. MP is the best!!!

gregm and MSYgirl like this.
  19. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just finished a week in and all around Scotland (got back to England today). It was my first visit to the country and was wonderful, so I'm sure you'll love it.

gregm and FetePerfection like this.
  20. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Costa Rica-stay at the base of Arenal Volcano. Nothing like natural fireworks to celebrate a milestone anything!