How to Bypass Luggage Limitations?

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by General_Flyer, May 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    So in 2 weeks I'll be finishing my RTW (finally) from SFO-FRA-SIN and two days later, SIN-CGK.

I'm just wondering how to manipulate that FRA-SIN leg on SQ to allow 3 baggage items instead of 2 and what about the weight?

LH allows me 3 x 32 kgs on the first segment, SQ only allows 2 x 23kgs and will they just carry over the luggage to SQ like so, and SQ won't charge me anything or will they scrutinize the bag transfer and ask me to pay at the gate?

I'm coming back up to Star Gold status after the last leg to SIN before CGK, so I think I should be ok.

Any comments?

(P.S. the Star Alliance Baggage Rule for the piece concept is 2 pieces but no weights (well they said 20 kgs each, but that's for the weight concept I think). Should I go by this rule instead?)

2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For SFO-FRA-SIN, the baggage allowance depends on who you are flying SFO-FRA (LH). That's because they are the Most Significant Carrier on your itinerary (I forget whether it's first overwater carrier or first crossing between IATA regions, but either way, it's your SFO-FRA flight). Follow LH's rules, SQ has to take your bags if you interline them.

General_Flyer likes this.
  3. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For Most Significant Carrier, should I go back with the initial trip and count who's the significant one? Because if I calculate it correctly, this RTW has 4 SQ Segments, 2 TG Segments, 3 NH Segments, 2 UA Segments, and 1 LH Segment. The initial carrier is SQ. This is the second half of the itinerary with LH as the first carrier.

4. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Umm, can anyone help me resolve this issue?

5. dgilks

dgilks Silver Member

Status Points:
    The SFO-FRA leg will determine the allowance for SFO-FRA-SIN. So 3 x 32kg. Your SIN-CGK leg will be on SQ's terms.

General_Flyer likes this.
  6. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah, ok! Thanks!