How to Book LAX-FCO return AMS-LAX?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Justin Johnson, Sep 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Justin Johnson Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need a little help planing/booking an awards trip to Europe. A friend and I are looking at doing a two or three week trip to Europe in October/November. Between the two of us we have friends living in Naples, Amsterdam and Lyon France. We would like to visit everyone that we can but doing so might be a bit of a headache.
    So the question becomes how can I book awards flights between LAX-FCO and AMS-LAX?

Thanks for your time.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LAX-FCO you can book online through AA.com if you are using only AA flights. If you struggle with that you might need to call AA to figure out what partner flights on BA/IB/AY you can use instead to get to FCO (keep in mind using BA means more $$$ because of the YQ fees).

The return from AMS you will need to call AA about, because AA does not fly to AMS and you will need to use a partner. Partner bookings need to be done over the phone with AA.

If you were thinking it might be difficult because the city you are returning from is different than the city you are arriving in, that's not an issue. All of AA's awards are one way, so it's no different than flying LAX-FCO-LAX.

There's a phone reservation fee, FYI. :(

Justin Johnson and viguera like this.
  3. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I Thought it was going to be hard because I did not know that AA flew to FCO so I thought I was going to have to mess about looking for partner flights and then calling AA for both parts of the trip.
    BTW what partners fly AMS to LAX?

Thanks for you help

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA flies to FCO from ORD and JFK seasonally. The flights still go in OCT but will stop during the tail end of your 2 month time frame. If you want to book with AA on AA.com you'd need to go in the beginning of your time frame. If you're looking at starting sometime in NOV you might be in trouble and will have to use partners the whole way.

To be clear, you cannot get from LAX-FCO or AMS-LAX on AA or its partners on a non-stop flight. You'll have to connect on the way to FCO and back from AMS. Most likely connection spots? MAD/LHR/ORD. You could even look at going AMS-HEL-JFK-LAX with AY and AA.

Justin Johnson likes this.
  5. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just got onto AA.com and have been looking at the FCO leg of the trip. I knew I would have to be stopping in NYC or ORD and was going use the opportunity to see more of the east coast. I do like your idea for the AMS-HEL-JFK-LAX route.

Thanks as always.

6. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't be afraid to book 2 one way award tickets.

SC Flier likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well unless it's a OW award, all AA award tickets are one way even if they look like they aren't. ;)