How to book FF ticket when you have 60 days between flights

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by dasinva, Feb 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Help!!!

We are doing a trip of a lifetime next January (2013) - we plan to leave around 1/22/13, east Coast to Auckland, via LAX. Return will be around 3/19/13 from Sydney.

We plan on using USAirways miles for business class ticket..

We don't know how to do it - some say wait until 341 days before the 3/19 return flight........ others say to book the outgoing flight right now (341 days before planned departure) a this would be as a "one way only" and then call to add the return flight when the 341 day mark hits - is that even possible??

If anyone has ideas on how this can be accomplished, we would be eternally grateful.

Debbie

2. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is problematic in that most (if not all) tickets are valid for one year from date of issue. So this would seem to preclude you from booking a dummy return now, and when the later date opens opens up, changing your return.

Unless it is unfeasible/impossible to book one-way awards, you will have to wait until booking opens up for your return and hope that your outbound dates still have availability. Even with ~290 days advance notice, there should be some routing availability (no guarantees on specific routings, though).

Do you have any elite status with the carrier with whom you are redeeming?

dasinva likes this.
  3. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You really don't have much of a choice here as US air do not allow for one-way booking. I am not sure if US airway will even allow to book one-way and than add the return. As jetsetr said, the ticket is only valid for a year and therefore you must wait until the return date will be available for booking first before you can book the entire ticket.

dasinva likes this.
  4. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    As MDDCFlyer said, you are out of luck with USAir. Unfortunately, they are behind in the times and aren't allowing one way tickets. C'mon guys, get with!

I'd suggest that you at least call them and talk to a representative. It can't hurt, and maybe somehow they can hold the outbound flights for you until the return ones become available and you can book the whole ticket. It's a longshot, but again, it can't hurt.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on how big of change fees might be applied (usually free for top elites), you might be able to book the outbound you want combined with any available return now and then change the return later, when it's available, having the ticket reissued at that time. I don't know whether the reissue extends the one year life of the ticket or not.

dasinva and kyunbit like this.
  6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I remember, US has extremely rigid rules regarding changing the dates of a return flight. Experts may correct me.

7. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem is that in order to keep the outbound flight the complete ticket has to be flown within a year. Even if that would be possible it must be done within a year of the ticket validity.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand that, but the flights are only two months apart. My suggestion was to check whether reissuing the ticket to push the return dates forward to the desired flights would reset the one year counter or not.

9. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd really just call - I'll bet the reps have seen this before and have a pretty solid answer. And call soon before your first leg gets filled!

10. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It never does - if one could do that then one could move the dates forward all the time within one year (i.e., book a flight for a year for now, and then move the inbound to almost two years from now). You just cannot do that. What they will be able to do is to cancel the ticket, re-book it (if the award space will be available - very risky it might not be released back immediately and it might be taken by someone else) with the inbound segment.

For such a difficult redemption route one ways is the better approach, but not an option with US Air.

11. Thanks for your inputs -- doesn't seem there's a good solution. We are on the phone with US Airways now and we are being told that given the two month span between the flights, we need to wait for the later flights to be available, We were told that we could book the outbound for 110K miles and then two months later, book the return flight for ANOTHER 110K miles -- no way!!!!! Apparently no way, or unwilling, to merge the two records. But having said that, there were no seats available anyway. We were told that that does not mean that there won't be seats, just that the partners tend not to load seats 341 days out. I used to be Chairmans level on US Airways for years, but that has lapsed, so no "pull"!!!!

Well, we'll continue the challenge and keep trying until the options seem to be nil - thanks for the replies and suggestions!!!!!!

12. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    This whole thread makes me happy that most of my miles are on AA, where I can just book a one-way each way the day the seats would open up. I did it last year for Europe, and it worked perfectly.