How to book an S fare class ticket?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Biggles209, Jul 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple of weeks ago I booked an S fare class (specifically SA1GS), next day, SEA-SFO-SEA on .bomb.

I'm back looking for another trip. The availability for the flight I'm interested in shows ...V9, W9, T9, S9, K0, L0, G0. When I book it, I end up with a W fare. Reservations says that the cheapest fare bucket they can see is W (which is a 14 day advance purchase), and therefore S must be a web special. Web support says that T and S are only available with "vouchers".

So how did I manage to book an S fare? Are they released close in? And does anyone know what the vouchers are?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure that your itinerary meets all conditions, such as advance purchase, minimum stay, day of week, specific routing, no stopovers/open jaws, etc., of your desired fare? It would probably be helpful to look at the complete fare rules.

Another idea is to look on on line travel agency sites that allow you to see the fare code before purchase. Sometimes particular fares are available through such channels but not through the airline.

Finally, the S9 that you see might reflect inventory that is only available as part of certain married segments, i.e., seats at that fare that are being held for passengers making particular connections.

3. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The fare rules are interesting - in that the S fare seems less restrictive than W. S has 7-day advance purchase, W has 14 day. S is not available on Sundays, though - although .bomb does show S9 for some Sunday flights.
    Thanks. It was fairly easy to track down availability on ITA. S seems to be easily bookable (as SAP7GS) from about 33 days out. How that fits with the 7-day advance purchase and apparent S9 availability is beyond me.
    I was hoping that on a simple non-stop return search, what I would get to see was what was available for that itinerary. It looks like the information is not as useful as I had thought.