How to best handle a cancel

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by PAinNY, Jun 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    My hubby and I have tickets for thur July 3rd EWR to San Antonio unfortunately I handle all the bookings etc and I am laid up in the hospital for the past few days .
    I know I will not be strong enough as I have been ill for weeks. With a doctor's note will I be able to cancel or are we just out of luck. I did not take insurance and the coach tickets were roughly $480 each
    Please advise best way to handle as I have very little energy Thanks much
    PainNY

2. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear.
    Check with the CC you uses to purchase the tickets and see if they have a policy built into their cards. Long shot but worth a phone call.

Flyer1976, PAinNY and IDGflygirl like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    With a doctor's note you're out $50 each. Cancel before the day of travel and they'll charge you the full fee. When you forward the documentation to them they credit back all but $50 as an administrative fee.
    https://www.united.com/web/en-us/content/reservations/refunds/refund.aspx#tabs-4

8MiHi, Flyer1976, WilliamQ and 6 others like this.
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    They may instead encourage you to change the tickets (cancel now, reuse the value within the one-year validity), paying the full change fee when you rebook rather than pay it now. Then you apply for a refund of all but $50 of the change fee.

I have seen this work. And apply for the credit card insurance, too.

PAinNY and pointshogger like this.
  5. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worth a try to call the airline to see if they are willing to be generous or work out some sort of arrangement with you.

Otherwise, being short $100 total isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things. Health is more important. Just don't wait too long to call the airline.

PAinNY likes this.
  6. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wandering aramean that is wonderful news but my brain is a bit fuzzy and the link you supplied said "Safari cannot open due to too any redirects.
    Where I a fuzzy you say cancel the day before and you are out everything. Y fuzzy brain is understanding that if I do it sooner it is better. I will have to find the link on united so I have the required docs $50 is a bargain so thank you

7. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank yon all very much I called and they cancelled the reservation and told me I would get a full refund. I will be happy either with the refund or a credit minis $50
    I will fax the info as soon as possible but I really appreciate the help
    Pa in ny in hospital (

8. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    PAinNY,
    I've spent my fair share of time in hospital.
    Hoping for the best possible outcome for you.
    In the big picture, those tickets don't mean a thing. It would be nice to get a refund or partial but, you've got bigger things to worry over.

9. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are so right zippy, in the big picture these tickets are worthless. Thanks for the best wishes
    PA

IDGflygirl likes this.
  10. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    And, I'm hoping that you are feeling better.
    Best of luck and don't give the staff too much hell.