How to be proactive about weather issues?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by girlsmom, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

  1. girlsmom
    Original Member

    girlsmom Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,237
    Likes Received:
    3,106
    Status Points:
    1,945
    Supposed to fly DCA to JFK Tuesday morning to catch a JFK-HKG afternoon flight. They are predicting 1 inch of snow on the ground by Tuesday morning in DC (not NY), with no snow fall by the time we're scheduled to leave (around 9:30). What are the chances (get out your crystal balls everyone!) of our plane (ERD) actually getting off the ground and us making our 1:30 flight in JFK? Is there anything we can/should do now proactively to make sure we make our connection. I hate the stress of winter travel!
     
  2. gemac
    Original Member

    gemac Silver Member

    Messages:
    1,027
    Likes Received:
    1,077
    Status Points:
    900
    You can do a Confirmed Flight Change up to 12 hours before. Call Monday evening and try to do this for an earlier flight from DCA to JFK. Costs $50 per person.

    If AA anticipates a major snafu, they will post a weather policy on their website allowing you to change for free. Usually doesn't go up this early unless they are predicting snowmageddon.
     
    girlsmom likes this.
  3. girlsmom
    Original Member

    girlsmom Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,237
    Likes Received:
    3,106
    Status Points:
    1,945
    Not sure an earlier flight will make a difference because there'll be even more snow actually falling earlier (if we can believe the forecast).
     
  4. girlsmom
    Original Member

    girlsmom Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,237
    Likes Received:
    3,106
    Status Points:
    1,945
    I guess I'm wondering at what point (ie -- how much snow on the ground) do the airlines start delaying/grounding their small prop planes at DCA? Any way to find out?
     
  5. gemac
    Original Member

    gemac Silver Member

    Messages:
    1,027
    Likes Received:
    1,077
    Status Points:
    900
    Your flight is not a prop plane, it is a regional jet - smaller than mainline AA jets, but with 44 seats.

    The main problem with snow/ice on runways is landing - getting the plane stopped before the end of the runway. Planes can take off in conditions that they cannot land in. If your flight has a plane to use, it might get out even though inbound flights are cancelled.

    I don't know the following, but it seems logical to me that bigger planes would have more problems getting stopped on landing than smaller planes.

    You can start checking AA.com for a weather policy, or you can reschedule your flights. Rescheduling on international flights is usually $250 per ticket.

    What I would do is start planning what you would do if you had a 24 hour delay in your outbound. If this happens, AA will likely allow you to reschedule your return at no charge, so you could come back a day later.
     
  6. Phineas
    Original Member

    Phineas Silver Member

    Messages:
    124
    Likes Received:
    47
    Status Points:
    155
    put it this way, last year I had a flight JFK/DCA the day that the storm that dropped 2 feet in DC. I flew out in what to me appeared to be a blizzard. Landed in the same dang blizzard. Not sure 1" is going to cause too much of a problem but one never knows
     
    girlsmom and gemac like this.
  7. girlsmom
    Original Member

    girlsmom Gold Member

    Messages:
    1,237
    Likes Received:
    3,106
    Status Points:
    1,945
    Well, I have to say that is comforting. Though I was once at DCA on the plane trying to get to JFK and the weather was clear but because of high winds at JFK, we sat on the tarmac for 6 hours (this was before the new regulations) and missed my connecting international flight. Ever since then, I've been wary about the DCA/JFK trip in any kind of weather, let alone snow. So let's hope you're right and I don't have a problem!
     
  8. Phineas
    Original Member

    Phineas Silver Member

    Messages:
    124
    Likes Received:
    47
    Status Points:
    155
    they'd cancel now rather than pay $27~K per pax for that

    I think the key to the OP's issue is whether its just plane ole snow or its ice; ice takes it to a whole new category
     

Share This Page