How to avoid the airline sandwich

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Mar 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/travel/142833655.html

Experts offer tips on staying out of the middle seat and other uncomfortable air travel predicaments.

[​IMG]

There you are, stuck in the middle seat again. This time you ended up in the row that doesn't recline. The guy in front of you has leaned his seat all the way back, pushing the top of your laptop down just far enough to make it impossible to watch a video. You turn to the onboard menu, hoping a snack might ease your suffering. But by the time the flight attendants reach your seat, everything but the trail mix has been sold out. Sound familiar?

As airlines continue to pack planes and cut service, many passengers are contending with cramped quarters, disgruntled flight attendants and charges for food, pillows, exit-row seats and other formerly free amenities that made the journey slightly more bearable. But carving out some comfort in coach is still possible if you're willing to work at it.

Read More: http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/travel/142833655.html

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I already know DL prefers the ham sandwich...;)

cwpfly and goalie like this.
  3. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If anyone does want to use Knee Defenders, keep in mind that they're banned on most US airlines.

Valentine, mattsteg and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this may be an article we circulated a while ago...always a good topic to throw around though. The Knee Defender bit is what made me think it is the same.

:)

5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    On Delta there's an easy way to avoid middle seats -- just book flights on 50 seat CRJs -- but it's like going from the frying pan into the fire -- i.e. from something that is uncomfortable, to something that is very uncomfortable.

<lol>

DTWBOB

rwoman likes this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    This story was in the Sunday New York Times today, it must be syndicated...

7. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you left out an "S" ;)

Clowns to the left of me,
    Jokers to the right,

Here I am,
    Stuck in the middle with you.

LizzyDragon84, Counsellor and rwoman like this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    And rightly so. Employing such a device should just about get you thrown off the plane, IMO.

I say this as a taller than average guy who almost never reclines. If someone else's recline is an issue, politely ask them if some sort of compromise is workable rather than pulling the passive-aggressive move of sabotaging their seat.

9. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haven't heard of Knee Defenders before reading this article, but the concept just sounds rude. If you know that an airline's seats recline (and don't like it), either pay extra for F/J or give some other airline your custom.

10. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    "So-called premium economy -- a roomier class of seats between business and coach -- has long been offered by international carriers on transatlantic flights. But recently, domestic airlines have been adopting the concept."

I bet that UA is thrilled to finally get credit from this author for a product that it introduced in 1999.;)