How to avoid the £25 fee when cancelling an award ticket?

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by hazinheira, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hazinheira

hazinheira Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi there! Glad to participate in this new "meeting point"!
    With all the unclear news about the Diamond Club's future, I have spent almost all my miles in redemptions for 2011. As I realized now that it will survive, it seems, until the end of year, and to be able to renew my *A G status, I will cancel some of the awards and buy regular tickets.
    However, I remember reading (but cannot find it again) that if the schedule of a flight is changed, one can cancel it without having to pay the £25 fee. Can anyone confirm this?
    Any other creative ways to avoid paying this fee?
    Thanks in advance

2. Margaret
    Original Member

Margaret Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't charged when I cancelled my award ticket recently.
    Margaret

3. hazinheira

hazinheira Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply.
    Two weeks ago, I requested the ICC to cancel one of the award tickets and they wanted to retain the YQ, to which I said no way! A couple of days later, I called again and this time nothing about the YQ was mentioned, but they wanted to charge the fee. However, as I remember reading that if there's a change in the schedule one could cancel without further costs, we agree that I would investigate and come back to them. This is another example of the inconsistency of the knowledge among the ICC operators, even though until today, they were all polite to me.

4. There are only 2 ways that this is going to happen
    a) a schedule change or
    b) that you cancel before the ticket is issued

Other than that there is no way to avoid payment of the fee.

Lufthansa Flyer and G_G like this.
  5. hazinheira

hazinheira Active Member

Status Points:
    Quick update:
    Yesterday, I received a post from bmi in facebook confirming what the previous OP wrote.
    Cheers

6. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Tiger_lily Nice to meet you here !

7. lallyr
    Original Member

lallyr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like you get more information from BMI from the FB page then from their website.

8. sofasurfer
    Original Member

sofasurfer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Working in a US domestic leg can usually help - I've had UA and US change timings by literally a few minutes on several occasions. A couple of times, I've had this happen on redemption itins and used it to rebook on "better" routings/timings overall as availability has opened up... first time I tried this, I didn't realise that they'd waive the change fee and was pleasantly surprised - have since used this strategically and had it work in my favour :)

Lufthansa Flyer and cfischer like this.
  9. cfischer
    Original Member

cfischer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this post, I didn't know small changes are enough to waive the change fees. UA/US/CO change their schedules every week; just a matter of time :)

10. hazinheira

hazinheira Active Member

Status Points:
    Last week, I called the ICC to cancel an award flight, for which there was a 5min. change in schedule. It was cancelled very quickly and the ICC's operator easily agreed that there was no reason to charge a cancellation fee, since there was a schedule change.