How to avoid long lines in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe' started by rwoman, Jun 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    USA Today: Rick Steves: How to avoid long lines in Europe

Hi All,
    IME, there are some good tips to keep in mind, especially when visiting some of the most popular sites! Despite many visits to Paris, I did not realize I could book in advance; I'll keep this in mind on future visits when family wants to go up the Eiffel Tower though!
    In Rome last year, we went to St. Peter's Basilica in the late afternoon, enjoyed no queue, and a pretty light crowd.
    :)

OY-JFS, wrxmom, SQ LPP and 5 others like this.
  2. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Standing in line is NOT my idea of a vacation. So, thanks for such an informative posting, rwoman! :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

3. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always get the Rick Steves book for where I'm going in Europe because of his tips on how to get in "through the back door". Well worth the cost of the book. And his self-guided walking tours are also often excellent.

marcwint55 and rwoman like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if they are still there as we haven't been to the Eiffer Tower in a few years, but the hot dogs sold outside of the tower are some of the best I have ever eaten.

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I definitely do not eat hot dogs when in Paris! :D

aptraveler and deant like this.
  6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aptraveler and rwoman like this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sacré bleu a "hat dowg" in Paris how could you. Seriously it's just tourist food no matter where you find it. Tell me wasn't like 8 Euro's like you'd pay at Disney.

Seriously if you don't want to spend half your trip in line you have to get reservations or tickets for any sort of busy time at the popular tourist sites. Many of these can be obtained via the websites. Even in the USA you need them at many of the sites now. We just got home from SFO and needed them a week or more ahead for Alcatraz for example. We would never have even gotten a ticket as the time slots fill up. If your going off season or to less popular sites you may not need them. If your doing a port call from a cruise ship they are a must but are also included in some of the shore excursions. Rick Steves is very good. Check out his audio podcast.