How soon do domestic ug post?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by estnet, Jan 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm doing some insane mileage runs (like 3x sfo-ord in 2 days) separated by a week or so. Only have a few 500 mile ug - not enough to cover even half the trips, so I'm hoping the ones for 10k miles post quickly enough to cover some of my later trips. Does anyone know?

2. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the 500 milers post as soon as your miles for the flight post and you should get your UGs in your account when you hit the 10k mark

folex386 likes this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - but given the spread sheet I found and the number of execs doing the same runs my chance of an ug (as plat) may not be good. OTOH if they get the ug maybe it will free up an exit or bulkhead!

lili and folex386 like this.
  4. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember that they'd post maybe a day or two after my qualifying flight was posted. Good luck with the MRs!

5. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, reality bites. You can have any exit row seat I leave behind.

A RT would take six 500-milers, so you would need 18. Yikes! As an EXP I'm not really expecting too many upgrades on my January LAX-ORD flights, but it except for one trip I've booked to allow for an overnight in ORD (hotels are $50-75 on weekends) because I can also rack up Hilton and Sheraton stays at cheap rates.
    Good luck!

estnet likes this.
  6. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As EXP you don't get upgrades a lot? I should hit that sometime soon and I thought goodbye coach lol....

7. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am EXP and I get upgraded about 80% of the time. I did several DFW-SFO turns in 2011 and was upgraded alot...but, I bought my tickets a few months early. There are so many mileage runners, that it is going to be tough. I have 2 RTs this weekend and no upgrades so far. I split the records for me and my husband to improve our chances. Does anyone know how they determine who gets picked first since we originally requested at the same time? Right now we have an aisle and a middle and I do not want either of us stuck in the middle.

AnthonyB1609 likes this.
  8. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is your husband also EXP? If not, I believe if you split the record (and have the agent note that you want to be upgraded individually) and you are upgraded, your husband would no longer be upgraded according to your status.

I've avoided the middle seat situation by picking a window and an aisle. If just one of us is upgraded, then neither is left alone in a middle seat and if neither of us is upgraded, then I've yet to come across someone who wouldn't trade a middle for a window/aisle.

AnthonyB1609 likes this.
  9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll take it :) I'm doing sfo-ord which only takes 4 each direction (but I only have 12 in hand) so I'm trying to use them judiciously (eg on a day flight in the middle of 3 rt starting at midnight), but since probably none will clear I'm planning on lots of alcohol or sleeping pills (just kidding).
    I have to do 6 rt mr to qual for exec, in addition to 2 internal trips I had prev planned, but only 1 is in Jan - sigh. if I had known I could have booked the Feb one for Jan to get the dbl eqm AND I would have routed thru dfw or ord rt - but I shouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth so to speak VBN

10. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, we are both EXP. Good idea on picking the window and aisle...never occurred to me but seems like such an obvious solution. This is going to be my plan from now on. Thanks so much!!!

11. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, it will take 1-2 days after your flights post for the stickers to post. My suggestion would be to request every flight. I doubt that you would clear enough to have to buy stickers. If that seems too risky to you, request the last flight of the day. That gives you something to look forward to (if you clear). I flew 7 round-trips BOS-LAX-BOS, for double EQM and quadruple RDM. That seemed like a mileage runner's feeding frenzy, and it wasn't anything like this one. I requested upgrades for all 14 legs. 2 legs cleared.

12. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Only two legs cleared at which elite level?

13. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    Confirming what a few others have already said, but the upgrades should post within 1-2 days of the flight posting date.