How Safe Are Your Frequent Flier Miles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sobore, Jan 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/01/09/how-safe-are-your-frequent-flier-miles/

You fly regularly. You crave frequent flier miles, and your account is bulging. Then ... BAM! The carrier you fly most often goes bust.

Do you stick with the airline, or shift loyalties? And what about all those points? Are they even worth anything now?

A lot more people are asking these questions in the wake of American Airlines parent AMR declaring bankruptcy. Fortunately, the answers aren't as dismal as you might expect.

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/AzcFUb

Read More: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/01/09/how-safe-are-your-frequent-flier-miles/

Toula, Gargoyle, Sweet Willie and 3 others like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to carry a min of 500k in a number of programs & my primary for years would be over 1mil.

Now I get uncomfortable when I have over 400k in any one program, I like to have ~250k on hand in my primary & a secondary but am burning/do burn anything else now.

Toula, hulagrrl210 and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must admit that I do get nervous about having to many. However, it is amazing how quickly they seem to breed after a while without too much effort.

That said, we find ourselves with probably enough points to do all the flights we want to do thru the end of 2013. I was also working on our trip plans for a 3 month trip later this year and I was surprised to find that using C&P together iwth a combo of straight points we would have enough points to cover 95% of the 3 month hotel stays.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Willie, absolutely, but I hope airlines' financial conditions are not the only reason you don't let you balances get too high. Enjoy the miles, which means: use them! There are two purposes, as I see it, for earning miles. One of course is status with the airline to make you more comfortable and pampered in future flights, and the status doesn't go away when you use the miles. The other is to get trips and things, and yes, doing that lowers your balance, so as I see it, why not use the miles when you've got enough to take the vacation that is desired? Even if the airline is in Fort Knox-style financial health, the miles are wasted if they just sit there. I am still laughing at that post last week from whoever (maybe even you): "He who dies with the most miles. . . dies."

Sweet Willie likes this.