How Old Is Your Plane?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by gregm, Apr 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    Newscience, blackjack-21 and uggboy like this.
  2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonder how those new plastic planes will hold up after 25 years of service. Hopefully there'll still be a few of the current metal models still around for the next 25 years or so, as I'll still feel more comfortable flying on them. The only plastic one's I prefer are those small aircraft models I used to glue together when I was a kid. Had a really nice F-86 Sabre, a P-51 Mustang, and a Super Constellation long ago.

At least my plastic models didn't have the wing cracks that both of the new aircraft types seem to have gotten and are harder to repair then if they had happened to a plane with metal wings.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    gregm and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, gregm - a great article! I'm concerned about the age of the fleet for SWA and the "Big 3". And Allegiant? - simply amazing:

1. Virgin America -- 5 years
    2. Spirit Airlines -- 5.2 years
    3. Republic Airways -- 5.5 years
    4. JetBlue -- 7.4 years
    5. Frontier Airlines -- 8.2 years
    6. Alaska Air -- 9.6 years
    7. Hawaiian Airlines -- 10 years
    8. AirTran -- 10.9 years
    9. SkyWest -- 11 years
    10. Southwest Airlines -- 11.7 years
    11. US Airways -- 12.1 years
    12. American Airlines -- 13.6 years
    13. United Airlines -- 13.6 years
    14. Delta Air Lines -- 16.9 years
    15. Allegiant Travel -- 22 years

gregm likes this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still have to support good ol' Dad's philosophy. He had almost 40 yrs of seeing the same equipment and how they did over the years. He says as long as their maintained.......He wouldn't let me fly DL if he thought it was unsafe.

blackjack-21 and WilliamQ like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who cares? There are maintenance procedures which will keep the planes flying for a long, long time.

The main benefit of newer planes is lower fuel costs and quieter operations, plus some other performance benefits for specific markets. When Allegiant can buy a replacement plane cheap as needed and keep flying with high margins they will. And they seem to be making a decent chunk of coin doing so.

6. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although Delta ranks pretty close to the bottom, do they consistently refurbish the interiors of their fleet? I've been on several MD-90s over the past 4 months and the interiors all looked almost brand new. I'm curious to know if this is the exception or the norm.

gregm likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    DL is refurbing a lot of their interiors as they cram a few more rows of seats in the back.

8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA average age should improve as they keep getting new planes. A friend of mine that works for Boeing says the date of the plane can be found on a plate on the main door sill. I've never looked but I assume that is true.

blackjack-21 and gregm like this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm not concerned about Southwest. I think they do a solid job with maintenance, both inside the cabin and "under the hood". Just because I don't fly them doesn't mean I don't think this is a strength for them.

American's number will come down significantly over the next few years. Unfortunately, their service may do the same.

gregm likes this.
  10. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The numbers are great for fleets. However, being out here at the end of spoke, we get the older planes that may be upwards of 20 years old. (When was the last time you made a connection at TUS?????? So we are stuck with MD 80 from AA, MD 88 and 90 from DL. And SW 737. of these the SW are probably the newest.

However, as the airlines here modernize, we are starting to see some of the smaller jets, which appear to be newer, and the connections may make our airplanes ages start to reflect newer models. UA and AA are now serving LAX with the smaller planes, and most appear to be newer. But for flights to DFW, ORD, or anyplace east, we have the oldest birds.

gregm likes this.
  11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    You know, the same happened to us with AA out of IAD. It was Mad Dog heaven save IAD-LAX. Then, all of a sudden, they swapped everything between IAD and DFW to new 738s.

Other than a few MDs on routes like DFW-AUS and DFW-DEN, I rarely fly them anymore.

gregm likes this.
  12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Allegiant concerns me.....I will never set foot on those reject aircraft from legacy airlines

gregm likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So flying on DL, which is also buying lots of used planes, must be difficult for you, too. Right??

14. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wrong.....I often fly DL ex YWG.
    I just don't trust Allegiant maintenance.

gregm likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So even were the planes new you'd have a problem? New planes have strict maintenance regimens, too.

gregm likes this.
  16. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Old or new, anything can happen. Mistakes are made and issues are overlooked by the best and the worst.