How old do i have to be to get a credit card can i get one if i am 14 years old

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by MichaelRobinson, Dec 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

?

How old do i have to be to get a credit card can i get one if i am 14 years old

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

100.0%
  1. MichaelRobinson

MichaelRobinson New Member

Status Points:
    How old do i have to be to get a credit card can i get one if i am 14 years old can i get one if i am 14 years old i am in 9th grade i live in Pennsylvania United States or no .

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. Unless your parents make you an authorized user on one of their accounts.

And maybe a bit more time on English and less worrying about CC churning. :)

B1BomberVB, estnet, alfagirl and 3 others like this.
  3. MichaelRobinson

Status Points:
    yes you can because ask a bank she say yes and i am not from USA ok @Wandering Aramean @eponymous_coward

satman40 likes this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Laugh all you want I bought my First house when I was 18, from a S&L, almost 60 years ago, lied about my age, I did have a Savings account at that bank.

Opened a LOC at 14 with Allied Radio later Radio Shack, bought electronic kits, and parts, sold them and paid the bill.

Sold a lot of intercoms to grocery stores, and other businesses, later radio and TV antennas.

I do not think it could be done in today's world. But then a 14 year old kid has better credit than a 40 year old dead beat, too many can live on Welfare in today's world, and make it.

My attitude has always been other people has more money then me, and I love to put their money to work.

Develope a plan to pay it off before the bill comes due, the interest will kill you.,,:D

In today's world you need a SS Number for a CC,

Counsellor likes this.
  5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is a bank a "she"? Did the actual bank building talk to you? I'm not sure I understand.

In the United States, you need to be 18 years of age to sign a legally binding contract, unless you have been emancipated from the care of a parent or guardian by a competent court (which is why they can add you to credit accounts as an authorized user). According to you, you are 14. Lines of credit (credit cards) are legally binding contracts, as you are promising to repay them. Have you been emancipated?

Do you REALLY have to make every post you write an excuse to shove right-wing propaganda down our throats?

Good for you, you're a success and you're a proud conservative who is not afraid to tell everyone about it, at length, all the time. I think we got that a few hundred posts ago.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    alfagirl and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry about the welfare remark, but many are not as respectful of others as they once were.

Just finished with my 2nd eviction in 50 years, they had 7 dogs and the court let them have 60 days to move..

I would not encourage anyone to go as deep in debt as
    I have been, and yet I try to encourage all it can be done.

Too many want everything, and never realize Freedom is not Free., I do vote a split ticket,

In our National Parks the post Do Not Feed the Animals signs for a reason.

Counsellor likes this.
  7. MichaelRobinson

Status Points:
  8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bringing back the original question:

As eponymous_coward mentioned before going off on a rant, the problem is not your creditworthiness, but rather the fact that under the law in most states one must be 18 years old (or otherwise an adult) to enter into a binding (legally enforceable) contract. The Bank needs a legally-binding contract before they will extend credit to you.

Now, one way is indeed to become emancipated, but there are downsides to that as well. Another solution would be to inquire whether the Bank will extend credit to you in your own name if you have an adult co-signer on the contract, since they can go against the co-signer in case you default. If they will, you can ask a parent to co-sign, and the Bank may be satisfied.

By the way, welcome to InsideFlyer, MichaelRobinson. Please don't be put off by some of the replies to your question; most folks here try to be helpful..

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll try to explain.

English is one of the unusual languages where few nouns for inanimate objects have a gender other than neuter. Ships are one of those few exceptions, since they are referred to as "she".

In most other Indo-European languages, particular the Romance languages (meaning those coming from Latin, not that the language is itself amorous), all nouns have gender, either masculine, feminine, or neuter, and thus may carry pronouns other than "it". If you travel much, you will run into this characteristic. Spanish, for instance, and German are a couple examples, as, I think, is French.

The problem is that for people who do not have English as a first language, and are trying to express themselves in English, the pronoun carried in their native language by the noun may not in fact reflect the sex of the object being referred to. For example, "Mädchen" is German for "girl" but the gender of the word is neuter, which takes the German equivalent of "it" as its pronoun. So, a German essentially is calling a girl "it," which can be confusing if he does a direct translation into English. Similarly, a newspaper is feminine in German, and referred to as "she".

This, I think, is what happened in the case to which you refer above.

If you're interested, Mark Twain wrote a very funny essay parlaying this "disagreement" between a noun, its pronoun, and the actual sex of the object into a result that was quite humorous. You can probably find it online somewhere, but if not let me know and I'll try to dig it out.

bigx0 and satman40 like this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The great thing about The kids post is he returned with a Thank You, which is admirable, not many people take the time to be considerate.

The kid will make a successful salesman, as he presents his ideas.

Good to see Counsellor reads between the lines.

Counsellor likes this.
  11. tombrady1212

tombrady1212 Active Member

Status Points:
    Be patient. In most cases you have to be the age of majority.

12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen many store credit cards issued, and even home loans given to made up people,

Paper Trip use to be real, in the 60s

Today they call it Idenity Theft.

I have heard of dogs and dead people voting.

I am not political, both parties make their share of errors.

Counsellor and B1BomberVB like this.