How often/when to check for seats to open?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Descloud, Dec 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Descloud

Descloud New Member

Status Points:
    I am holding tickets for the itinerary and class I want to travel,but a day earlier that I desire. This is for travel in July. Should I keep checking to see if seats open on the day I'd prefer, or wait until closer to the date for them to become available?

2. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may be confused, but what do you intend on doing? Are you going to pay to change your flight if the desired flight becomes available or is this an "open" ticket?

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Likely an award ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

malikguy and edekba like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh? How are these two options different? You're still wanting the ticket on the day you want ... so either way you have to wait and check to see IF tickets open up on the day you exactly want.

An easier thing would most likely use a service to send you an alert when the seat becomes available ... instead of searching every day/week etc. EF or WATT i think can do it.

malikguy and iolaire like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think the OP is asking whether they should bother checking every day starting now, or to forget about it and not bother checking inventory until closer to the travel date.

Your suggestion on using a service to notify when inventory opens is solid, it's what I would do in the same situation.

More directly to the OP: Inventory opens when it opens. You can read the tea leaves all you like but the most solid strategy to getting your desired seat is to stay vigilant and look often. Don't wait for some magic time period to arrive when AA will release all that you desire.

Welcome to MP. :)

6. Descloud

Descloud New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice. I will continue to check vigilantly. Worst case, I will have to spend an extra day in Rome.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Oh the injustice! ;)

anabolism and malikguy like this.