How often is 'continuous' when it comes to EUA runs?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by downhillcrasher, Jul 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard EUAs are supposed to run continuously from the 24 hour mark until the gate takes over control. My question is how often does 'continuously' really mean they run? Every minute? Every hour?

To provide some background, I ask as I SDC'd to a flight at the 24 hour mark. It is showing R2 and it looks like all the other elites on the flight have been upgraded (the only other people on the upgrade standby list [which I know is only applicable at the gate, not for EUA] are also on the flight standby list so I figure they are non-revs). Its not really a big deal, I am just curious.
    Do I have any other recourse besides waiting for an EUA run? I know in days gone by elite line agents could upgrade you when there were upgrade bucket seats available, though I don't know if this was official policy or just friendly customer service.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pre-merger, I had the impression that CO did not run EUA continuously. I remember some claims that revenue management would remove upgrade inventory just before the EUA run time and then restore it, presumably in an attempt to favor those buying higher instant-upgrade fares over free upgrades to high-level elites with cheap tickets.

Is your flight UA or CO? They might be processing upgrades differently.

JohnDeere19 and downhillcrasher like this.
  3. downhillcrasher

Status Points:
    It is CO. And in this case I am inclined to believe that removing inventory is not much of an issue as all elites on the flight seem to have been upgraded.

4. downhillcrasher

Status Points:
    To update my original post, I got the EUA after about an hour. So this seems to imply that CO EUA runs are continuous. I am still curious about the in and outs of run frequency, however. Does anyone have more insight on not only how often they run, but also when they start to run continuously (24 hours, 5 days, etc.)?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Currently I know more about EUA on DL. There the normally scheduled runs when upgrade windows first open for elites normally take an hour or more to complete and people have observed that it seems to be slower recently. DL seems to go in order of flight numbers, with mainline IME done in not much more than a half hour. Email notifications of upgrades can take several additional hours to be sent out by the system, so the times I'm counting involve looking at one's seat assignment on line. DL does seem to run EUA continuously in the background after the upgrade window first opens at T-6 for DM and PM. Upgrade inventory can be released at any time, although new award inventory tends to be released in big bunches.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "continuous" period begins when OLCI opens, not at 24 hours. It is not actually "continuous" but a triggered procedure that happens each and every time a check-in event occurs. So for a 737 it will happen something like 150+ times within the OLCI period, depending on how booked the flight is.

7. downhillcrasher

Status Points:
    Good info!

So I assume it could run more than 24 hours in advance due to people checking in from connecting flights.

Also, perhaps this explains the phenomenon of getting upgraded while checking in.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct on both accounts.

9. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had upgrades at the 'continuous' period quite often in the last 1.5 years due to last minute bookings.

I have also only missed 1 upgrade in the last year(slightly more if you go out to 1.5) and it was last week on a 752 with flat beds...