How often does CO momentarily remove R availability during EUA runs?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by WaterSki, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does CO frequently zero-out R class availability precisely when EUA runs for a flight, and then quickly reinstate the R availability, effectively "skipping" that run of EUA?

I understand upgrades can only occur through EUA when R class is available at the moment that the EUA batch process is run. I understand that for plats EUA is run (among other times) at 120 hours before the flight (5 x 24 hour periods).

Looking at a flight IAH-DEN for next Saturday, I made the following observations:

T-122 hours: 8+ R-class seats available (observed through dummy-booking of OnePass reward upgrade for 8 passengers through continental.com)
    T-117 hous: 8+ R-class seats available.

My upgrade did not clear between these times. As a point of reference, a previous flight on this same itinerary did clear at T-120 hours (for that flight) (also with "standing" R-class availability) indicating that I am properly recognized as an elite in the system.

2. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have long given up expecting EUA at 120 hours... I now expect them just under 24 hours and if my upgrade clears at T-120 then great, if not T-24 it is... I don't like it, but that has become the norm... T-24 still beats what I experience on UA as a CO Plat...

CO wants your miles or your TODs before giving out freebies...

3. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this is exactly what happens. It's been happening for a while now but has become a lot more noticeable in the past few months. CO needs to continue to make money somehow...

4. sdm1130
    Original Member

sdm1130 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stopped expecting EUAs all together and remind myself that I can pay for F if I want to sit up there. It makes life much easier! ;)

Scottrick, snod08 and Golfingboy like this.
  5. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For your exasperation and resignation, you don't seem to be faring all that badly...

;)

rggale likes this.
  6. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :p It would have been perfect if DIG/R_1K was not on one of my flight [EWR-LAX] :D At least, I had an agent block off an entire row for me in row 37, so I could stretch out and sleep... I was told the service was abysmal in F on that flight and they did not begin the meal service until 2.5 hours into the flight and they stopped serving drinks a little over 30 minutes before arrival... Guess, I missed the upgrade on the right flight :D

7. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lately, this seems to be happening with a bit more regularity...but that's another story.

8. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I booked a last minute flight to MCO today. Within two hours the return on Thursday cleared EUA, but tomorrow evening's outbound shows only 7 of 16 booked and 4 upgraded, with me 1 of 2 on the Upgrade Standby List.

I assume it might clear sometime tomorrow, but with less than half of the cabin booked, I would not expect to do the gate dance ... or would I?

9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, low expectations oddly make life more pleasant. But it would still be nice if they provided elites with the perks they were promised. This is deceptive behavior.

10. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really, it's not. They haven't promised guaranteed upgrades, only "eligibility" for upgrades.

11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never said I was owed an upgrade. I'm complaining about their talk of confirming upgrades at different windows prior to departure. They can have seats available in F but the EUA (CO) and UDU (UA) upgrades only clear if separate upgrade space is available.

What's the point of a 120 hour window if they never open up the upgrade bucket until the last minute? They should just say that all upgrade will be processed based on status on the day of departure.

12. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Or put another way, they do not run EUA based on historical last-minute F purchases. At least that's what I've heard from CO and on FT in the past. Couple of weeks back I had several flights, certain ones at lower R availability cleared 5 days out, whilst others cleared more closer. Now, I was on low fare classes (Plat), but I did see the number of booked F vary wildly on some of those.

In the end, I was upgraded on all but one (very late afternoon IAH-SEA) eligible flights.

13. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    No one should expect an upgrade at the 5-day window or any other time. CO's inventory management is their descision and their decision alone.

Many folks continue to reiterate the question "Why won't my upgrade clear even though there are many unsold F seats?" which can be rephrased as "Why don't they release R inventory when there are many unsold F seats near to departure?.

UA's waitlist system (of clearing waitlisted upgrades immediately when NF upgrade inventory is released) differs substantially from CO's EUA batch-process system (in which upgrades clear when EUA runs and there is also R upgrade inventory).

My question for this thread really has to do with CO's perverse use of their system -- preventing upgades from clearing when EUA is run even when there is standing R upgrade inventory available. CO has de-facto pubished (throu UA Insider on FT) the times at which the EUA batch process runs (144hr, 120hr, 96hr, etc.), so if a flight has R availability at those times, the only way for CO to "properly" prevent upgrades is to momentearily zero out R availability. Now checking R availability on CO is cumbersome (must use dummy award booking on UA.com or dummy miles upgrade booking on CO.com), so I have never actually witnesed the short-lived reduction of R inventory when the EUA process is run.

I would like to continue to hear reports from flyers who have actually checked R inventory both before and after the time of an EUA run and seen upgrades not clear despite observed R inventory both before and after.

I should clarify this is not a frustration-based thread -- everyone is frustrated when their upgraes clear, but this thread is not the place to vent.

14. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have encountered this issue several times and when I called I told them that means those who wants to use miles to upgrade that would screw elites on the upgrade list particularly inside the window and the agent said yea, but you have to wait until midnight for eua to run... :(

15. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was under the impression that EUA runs both dynamically and at pre-set windows before individual flights, not systemwide at midnight.

I understand your gripe and I certainly feel the same way. It's frustrating to achieve status and expect to enjoy a benefit that is not delivered in the manner anticipated.

I was simply responding to your assertion that doing so is a deceptive practice. "Deceptive business practices" are a statutorily-defined legal concept, and this particular application would generally fall outside of that scope, in most jurisdictions that I am familiar with. That's all.

16. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my case the upgrade IAH-DEN cleared today at T-96 hours. R inventory remains at 8+ afterwards. This is the same upgrade that failed to clear at T-5 calendar days, T-120 hours, and T-4 calendar days, despite there being standing R inventory.

17. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Statistical data point... Yesterday there were 8 R space for Tuesday's EWR-BOS flight and today it has been zeroed out... Only 7 seats booked out of 20 on that flight in F and it has been that way for a while now...

I don't see any plausible rationalization for this kind of decision making, particularly on this route on a Tuesday....

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if I get upgraded or not since it is only a 45 minute flight, but this is just an example... Also, SAN-EWR redeye on Monday only has 2 seats booked in F and both were mileage upgrades... I bet CO won't run any EUA upgrade until 5 minutes before boarding :rolleyes:

18. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last minute sales and TODs rule the day at CO. My guess is that Revenue Management Lurker God has data to suggest that they get people to spend extra for FC. Whether this is a "penny wise" to be a "pound foolish" is beyond my humble ability to say, but one thing now seems certain. If CO can get one extra penny, it will.

19. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but 13 F seats? If we were allowed to make bets with CO Revenue Management on whether they will sell all remaining F seats on our flights to Paid/Buy-Ups/Mileage Upgrades or not, we would be rich ;)

Gtitan likes this.
  20. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    SAN-EWR redeye on Monday is now showing R1 :rolleyes:

Of course, EUA did not run and CO is holding out for suckers who will fumble 15K miles....