How often does Award Inventory Update?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by edekba, Apr 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if this has been answered; but I couldn't really find a solid answer. Does UA update their award inventory on the fly? Daily?

What about partners?

2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good question. Probably complicated.

mo26 and edekba like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time I got a decent explanation from someone inside the answer was essentially that it is dynamic. I don't know if that still holds but most inventory buckets can be managed in that way so I'd assume awards still are, too.

mo26, IDGflygirl and edekba like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slightly OT, but this observation might help. DL award and upgrade inventory looks dynamic, although there are certain times that new inventory seems to be particularly likely to be released. It is certainly not the case that award inventory is released at e beginning when bookings are allowed, about 330 days out, and when it's gone it's gone, although this might have been true in the very early days of FF programs.

5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    All I can say is that when I check for award flights (across a variety of airlines) I have seen availability change often. A few days ago I was looking on Delta for a particular flight and nothing good was available for me. The next day, I got exactly what I wanted. I have seen similar rapid changes on United. So, when I know what I need, I check often.

6. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a question regarding this as well...

I booked my wife and I on:

UA938 5/24 ORD - LHR
    UA909 6/3 AMS - ORD

I originally booked them both in coach about a month ago as there was a Supersaver available for 30K each (120K total). Every couple days I look to see if there is a supersaver in Business or 1st... and finally today there was in Business for AMS -ORD. I called United, gave them 40K more miles and im good to go... Im still in coach ORD -LHR though...

Is there a method to the madness? Anyway to figure out when BF or GF will become available?

It's an anniversary trip and I'd really rather not slum it.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    1) You can waitlist the award rather than checking all the time. Waitlisting only works on UA metal but it is possible. You can only do so over the phone.

2) Set up an alert with one of the many services offering such (including mine). Some are free and some are paid. They are all a bit different in how they run but overall generally the same net output.

mo26, Phorever and edekba like this.
  8. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks as always!

I didn't even realize such services existed... I will click on your links and try and figure it out.

I'll also call united and talk to them about waitlisting... I wonder if I can wautlist for business and first (whichever becomes available first is fine by me).

miles and smiles and mo26 like this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm on the phone now with them changing my itinerary ... I asked to be wait listed to F because one of the segments only Y is available. It was done w/o a problem.

mo26 likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    IME you can only waitlist for one or the other, not both.

Phorever likes this.