How often do you redeem for an award trip? [Poll]

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by AUSsie, Dec 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

How often do you redeem for an award trip?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2013.
  1. I hoard points and never redeem them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I am still saving up for my first

2.0%
  3. 1 time a year

34.0%
  4. Twice a year

30.0%
  5. Three to five times a year

30.0%
  6. Five to twelve times a year

4.0%
  7. More than twelve

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to this lovely forum, I've managed to acquire enough miles and points to take some nice trips. This led me to wonder, though, how often folks actually get a chance to use all these miles we spend so much time acquiring. Is an award redemption some mythical beast, or a regular part of your travel plans?

miles and smiles, 8MiHi and uggboy like this.
  2. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once or twice a year depending on type of trip for me.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try to balance my status goals with redemption goals, which isn't easy. Over the years, my balances have kept increasing. But that's changing as I will next year reach MM status on UA and have less need to earn status (and certainly my wife won't have any need as she'll just inherit my status).

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have lost points on some airlines :)eek:) but continue to hoard mostly through lack of decent redemptions options. With more than a million miles on two and about 700,000 on a third I should find a way to use some. The ones i worry about are the oens with 125k, 250k, 95k, not enough to redeem for anything I want and too much to throw away.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sell the account?

6. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I frequently need to redeem miles for four tickets at a time, "hoarding miles" is not in my vocabulary. ;)

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about your habits, but those are the balances that get me in trouble, because I start planning completely unnecessary trips. I have 230k US and 70k Avios laying around and I'm itching to just find somewhere to use them, since I don't think I'm going to be earning with them anytime soon.

miles and smiles and jbcarioca like this.
  8. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be happy to offer you some opportunities to redeem some of those miles, especially if they're SkyMiles. :) I live in Atlanta, so finding good transatlantic business redemptions are easy, you see. :)

9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have about 1.3 million of those but I will not let them go! They work very well for KL and AF, two carriers I often use. My spouses FB's work nicely in coordination, too.

YULtide, miles and smiles and viguera like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, those Avios. I've 250k of those but I cannot use them for the short hauls that everyone claims are their one good use. I'm thinking of giving those to charity.

11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to do that back when it was not against the rules. I sold tons of PA and TW miles for nice prices.

YULtide and miles and smiles like this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    now that most one way fares are at decent pricing, I utilize many one way awards, buying one of the legs if cheap (which for some odd reason, on most of our trips, there has been a very cheap fare outbound or return but the other way is quite expensive so I'll use miles for that leg)

Sweet Willie Charities is a great cause !

13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a fantastic charity... :)

Seriously though it depends -- just like with everything else -- where you're based. Being in NY I can start running the infamous and unnecessarily expensive YYZ route, or even do a few short hops to MIA for no reason at all. That's the problem when you have a balance on a program that's too small for anything serious but too big to just let it go :)

I'm also thinking of making my way to Europe then just blast around across the continent, since everything is within spitting distance, unlike here in the US. :(

miles and smiles and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being based in GIG means almost everywhere is a big deal. Anything in the Southern Cone usually is available on one program or other for 10,000 miles per leg, so I do use some small balances that way. Once JJ finally is in OW I will be able to burn the Avios fairly easily also.

15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to redeem only once a year as I need to earn the miles to keep the status. I will use miles to upgrade if I don't think the complimentary upgrade chances are good. Usually I use the miles for a partner flight in first class to Asia or Europe when I redeem. I too am beginning to sit on too many miles as I have over a million in two different programs and large balances in two others.

miles and smiles and 8MiHi like this.
  16. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have often used miles to pay for a family members transportation to our chosen vacation destination if I can get an exchange of at least 2 cents/mile or better (or when the budget has hit an upper limit).

miles and smiles likes this.
  17. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh fine, I'll just have to earn my own skymiles.

Now... those Avios you were thinking of giving away . . . BA flies nonstop ATL-LHR, and my wife and I have been wanting to get to London . . . :eek:

Will you be able to use those once LATAM joins/rejoins oneworld?

18. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    I often redeem flights and strategically overlap them with each other so I get the max redemption possible out of each segment in conjunction with tickets purchased.

I have a JFK-CCS, LAX-LIM (on LAN's 787) and MIA-DUS currently open. Simply because I needed to get to NYC (from DFW for a JFK-MAD), LAX (from MCI when tickets were at $400) and MIA (from CUR) respectively. The added segment only added a small amount miles.

Those are with AA miles but also randomly redeem the few UA miles I have for intra-South America. Mostly on Avianca/Taca.

19. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's no box I can check -- I've got enough for free tickets -- but usually can find a good enough fare that it doesn't make sense to use points and usually need the miles/segments I earn to keep my elite status.. That said, I have used Delta points for rental cars and sometimes get 3 to 4 cents per point.

What this survey doesn't ask is whether you use hotel points.... and with Hilton is I do that often (when it makes sense) and the nice thing there is the nights/status count towards status.

DTWBOB

8MiHi and miles and smiles like this.
  20. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many of my redemptions are as gifts for graduation, wedding, etc. It allows me to give special people very nice gifts without breaking my bank.

For my own use, I've only redeemed when the fares stay ridiculously high and I really want to visit that destination.

21. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use them as positioning flights to get you to and from someplace you've booked revenue flights for (when they are cheaper to start someplace other than where you live).

22. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where are OW fares a good price? I must have missed that!

23. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    You redeemed JFK-CCS because you needed to fly DFW-JFK? How does that work? You redeemed DFW-JFK- (stopover) - CCS with the JFK-CCS at a much later date?

Likewise, you needed to fly MCI-LAX so you redeemed MCI-LAX- (stopover) - LIM with LAX-LIM at a much later date?

24. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about using miles to upgrade flights, especially flights you need to take to requalify?

25. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Used to be able to do that in the PMNW days and did it when it made sense -- you always felt a bit dumb when there was a seat open in FC and you'd used miles.

DTWBOB