How often do People use Bluebird....

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by andhoova, Sep 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    For purchases other than paying bills? I just want to make sure I'm not abusing the system to much. I typically load 5k per month and swipe the card for small purchases 6 or 7 times per month (usually under $50 in total swipe charges per month). Everything else is bill pay or Bluebird checks.

Do I need to swipe the card more in order to not draw attention to myself?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Others might disagree with me but that seems perfectly fine. I've been doing the same (probably even less than 6-7 small purchases) and have not had issues.

I would think that by paying bills in addition to the small purchases, it doesn't make you look super sketchy. If every month you wrote your significant other a $5000 check then I would worry a little more.

3. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply..I had a bad experience with AccountNow so I just want to be in the safe side,

merice107 likes this.
  4. murphbc

murphbc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't bother with the small purchases. I strictly load money for the online bill pay. No issues so far.

Dad to GO likes this.
  5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got my bluebird card today, and will activate it tomorrow (after my serve cancellation is processed). I have yet to find anywhere I can purchase Vanilla reloads with a credit card (my CVS requires cash or debit) but until I do, i will try out Amazon Payments.

6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    AccountNow and Bluebird are like comparing apples to Hyundai's. Bluebird is the class of the prepaid card league, and AccountNow is the red-headed stepchild.

murphbc likes this.
  7. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha...that's true!!

8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

My wife and I each have a bluebird account. We load $5,000 per month on each card and pay bills that do not otherwise take credit cards. We have never swiped the card for a purchase as we only use the online bill pay service. We have been doing this well over a year now and have never had a problem with them. We load the cards at Wal Mart with our mileage earning debit cards.

9. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think people not using the cards will eventually lead to this getting shutdown..All credit card companies wants swipe fees.

10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bluebird is not a credit card, they will earn debit card, not (more valuable) credit card fees when you swipe one.

I imagine their vig comes from the float they get on your money. If so, I suspect maximum-value users are desirable to them as long as you don't cycle the money out immediately.

11. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which one?

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are right about it not being a credit card, but my point is that not using it for purchases and only loading and unloading money via reload cards will draw more attention to this than anyone wants..there are quite a few credit (and debit) cards that have a minimum number of swipes per month in order to continue using fee free, the companies do that for a reason.

I encourage everyone to use their Bluebird card for purchases at least a few times per month. Otherwise a few people abusing this method are going to get it shut down for all of us!

ariosto and Traveling Momma like this.
  13. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

AA UFB Direct
    Delta Sun TRust
    Alaska Bank of America

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't carry the BB card in my wallet. So I don't really have it available for swipe transaction. I did use it a few times earlier this year for small amounts, but now I just use the account to pay bills via checks or online pay. I haven't maxed out the $5k in the last two or three months because it's not cost-efficient to spend a lot of time chasing after VRs or visit the nearest Walmart 20 miles away. There are more productive ways to spend my time.

boondr likes this.
  15. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been loading $5k a month and only doing bill pay since Feb. I'm glad the OP brought up this question. It seems to me one needs to be a profitable customer else the card gets shut down. I'll look to swipe a bit more for small regular purchases each month.

iolaire likes this.
  16. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never used it for swipe transactions. $5,000 a month in bill pay. Loaded at Walmart mostly, though an occasional bean comes my way.

17. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not typically carry mine either but I do make sure to carry it a few days a month so I can be profitable to Amex..

18. marathon man
    Original Member

marathon man Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use BB to load up with VR and pay bills pretty much right away. I have found that many of the cheesy prepaid cards out there (most run through Bancorp, not surprisingly) hate this practice. And like PayPal, they all kinda sorta really hope people will load the card, leave funds in there for an unspecified amount of time, use it for more than just bill pay or cash out, and then continue to do this and pay fees too. Most prepaid cards (and paypal) are scams anyway (for not having the above warnings in their TCs but shutting people down for falling prey to it) but so far--for now--BB seems a bit different/better in that it has yet to shut people down for doing what they claim they allow:

to load funds and pay bills.

And that, again, is all I ever used it for.

(I still have paypal btw, but I know that's how they play)

servo likes this.
  19. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those poor redhead's. Still getting picked on. Now even getting compared to poorly used prepaid cards.

servo likes this.
  20. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I knew that if you have an American Express Serve prepaid card, you cannot have Bluebird. I closed out my Serve account then found out it takes 30 days to sign up for Bluebird..... :(

SuperKirby likes this.
  21. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    No worries, you'll get it!

vickers likes this.