How much would YOU pay to skip customs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jul 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.traveldailynews.com/news/article/55775/how-much-would-you-pay

Record-long wait times in customs are further plaguing the already abysmal experience of modern-day air travel.

It comes at no surprise that John F. Kennedy Αirport leads the nation with an average 36-minute customs line, up eight minutes (22 percent) from last year due to cuts in staff, according to a study by Global Gateway Alliance.

And although U.S. Customs and Border Protection continues to succumb to federal budget cuts, this hasn’t stopped people from traveling and suffering-and even more so. More than 3.2 million passengers went through JFK’s customs last year, up 12 percent from 2009.

The last decade proved to be a worldwide gold rush, as the world travel market grew by 60 million annual visitors. This astonishing number, however, didn’t benefit the U.S., which welcomed essentially the same number of visitors as it did in 2000, with a market share declining to 12 percent from 17 percent.

Millions of would-be tourists who wish to travel to the U.S. are being turned away and left frustrated by cumbersome and bureaucratic State Department procedures, which deny their visas. Recapturing the lost share of the tourist market would yield 98 million more visitors, $390 million in additional exports and $859 billion in total economic output by 2020, according to a recent study by the U.S. Travel Association.

Read More: http://www.traveldailynews.com/news/article/55775/how-much-would-you-pay

uggboy likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    $50 for my 5 years of Nexus and Global Entry. :)

I'd certainly pay an expedite fee in other countries to guarantee swift passage. For the normal, infrequent international traveler, why not have an expedite fee? If it at least partially goes to hiring more staff that helps everyone.

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    What fascinated me was that GE members entering NZ got to use the fast lanes. No special privileges other than that, but I thought that was very nice of them.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not know this. This would definitely save me a lot of time as their CBP procedures usually take anywhere between fifteen to thirty minutes. How do they identify you as having GE?