How much would you pay to be 1K from Plat?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Nov 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I expect to end the year as a Plat with 80k EQMs but could technically squeeze in some runs to make 1K by year end. Just curious, if you were in my position, how much would you spend on runs for the 20k eqms to reach 1K and what is the value you perceive to have as a 1k over Plat?

Travelsavant likes this.
  2. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    As you live in LA, I'd do 3 LAX-ORD DEQM MR's for approx cost of $220ea/$660 total for 20,940 mi. As for the value of 1K over 1P...in 2012 I suspect it will be significant & worth doing a few easy MR's.

3. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Better chance for domestic upgrades, and SWUs. I'd say its worth it.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you travel internationally? Would you use the six SWUs you'd get? That would be for me the primary reason, and if you can get the fares Travelsavant listed and you can spare the time, it would be worth it if I was in your shoes.

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would hope not to spend more than $750 for the extra 25K between Platinum and 1K. That gets tougher toward the end of the year. I value the UDUs, priority lines, E+, CR1s, etc. a lot more than the SWUs. Probably part of their plan. I just can't afford to buy W fares all the time. If you treat the SWUs as additional CR1s, then you've got 8 more CR1s as a 1K vs. Plat, and I think it's fair to value those at $100 each if you can use them on a good candidate.

All that being said, I am willing to spend up to $1,250 for those extra 25K miles if I'm taking an actual trip and not just flying to MCI and back three times on a red-eye.

6. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lets remember that UA's current DEQM is for W fares or higher out of LAX, so not sure what those prices would be???

I was going to be 18K short of hitting 1K this year so early on in the summer (before we knew the new MP benefits) I decided to go for it and did a couple MR's. Today, after seeing what has happen to NC inventory and knowing that paid cash UG's are going to take priority over my SWU's next year, I don't know if I would do it again.

But yes, there are still many perks we have as a 1K and think it's a personal choice.

Cheers,
    John

7. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have W fares out of LAX for $220 each? W fares SFO-ORD are running $343 at a minimum.

8. AdamNYC

AdamNYC Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that poster was aware of the W fare requirement so he was quoting lowest S/T fares

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Let's keep the comparison based on Plat vs 1K in the 2012 MP program since that's where we'll be in Feb/March. The LAX to ORD run 3x in W for $340 each = $1120 1,020. These would have to be pure runs in order to fit into my business / travel schedule.

I have low value on the SWUs since I don't pay for the international W fares... use as a CR1 does have some value but probably not more than $20 since it is coming directly out of my pocket. That brings us to a $980 860 cost.

Then there are the RDMs from the 3 MRs of 31,350 (3490 /rt x 3 triple RDM/rt x 3 trips) which if valued at 1 cpm has a value of $313.50. This brings the cost down to $666.50 546.50

Is getting back to 1K from Plat worth this pure cost? Are there some other values to being a 1K that have been overlooked?

Lufthansa Flyer and AZjohn like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If I were you, you would have just talked me out of it (also considering the investment in time to do the trips).

11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the OP does domestic travel to any great extent then yes domestic upgrade % might be worth it.

SWU's for the way we travel have become a joke, W fare through the roof, window of clearing has shrunk considerably if the SWU clears at all.

I miss the old days when a W fare was no more than $200 above lower class fares and an agent was more than willing to share that if I booked X itinerary, the SWU would clear at time of booking.:(
    Again, for my travel patterns, going for 1K is not worth it.

12. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the way you are looking at this;)
    From a PP (this is what we are calling it now , right?) to 1K , I can't think of any other benefit. You get the same 6 members on PNR up to E+, you do get a domestic call center (would think it's close to the 1K line), same baggage, etc. I can't think of anything other than 25% more RDM's.

13. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't possess UA status anymore but three RTs at $340 each is $1,020 - calculations were based upon $1,120, so the monetary cost was overestimated.

14. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I value the SWUs, and I'd happily pay the $1,000ish that it looks like it will cost you. You also get 50k RDM out of that (30K now, with the bonuses, plus 20-25k next year for your extra 25% bonus) and better UDU priority. I'm also close enough to 1MM that the extra lifetime miles are tempting.

If you're not willing to buy W fares internationally, then I'd skip it.

Sweet Willie and Freddie Listo like this.
  15. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nice catch.... this is what happens when you try to do these mileage and cost calculations on your phone.

icurhere2 likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Try your head next time ;)

icurhere2 and 2wheels like this.
  17. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You bring up a good point that the 25% bonus miles benefit between a Plat and 1K was not added in and assuming that one would fly 100K next year w/ UA, they'd get an extra 25k RDM which at 1 cpm would be worth another $250. That would get me to a cost of $296.50 (1020 cost - 160 for 8 CR1s - 313.50 for MR RDMs - 250 from 25% bonus on 100K).

So with this new calculation... how attractive do you find it to shoot for 1K if it would cost just $296.50?

18. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it were only going to cost $296.50, I think the cost of the UDU priority is worth that much. Personally, I'd go for it.

19. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    As previous posters have said, what worth does the OP place on 1K vs Plat, that's what matters.

For me, earlier this year, I figured that making a push from my last years 75k to 100k this year, might be feasible based on the combination of my business (25%) and leisure (75%) travel plans. Given the programme benefits as now more spelled out for 2012, I'm unsure if I'll push for it next year, it all very much depends.

1K is top dog, apart from GS, that should get you enough upgrades and such. But given how priorities at the new UA seem to have shifted more towards a "show me the money"-like (US) attitude, I'm unsure about how I'll feel about for what I'd like to requalify next year... Hindsight will be 20/20 of course. :)