how much MR spend should one make for Diamond Retention?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by jfhscott, Aug 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm at 16 stays, and have three assuredly planned for non-MR purposes. Travel plans next year likely are consistent with this year. Today's query is should I motor through to 25 for Diamond.

My circumstances:

I live in Northern Virginia and can take advantage of MR's at the Dulles cluster of Hyatt properties.

My nephews who live in the Dulles area think that staying at a hotel and having a breakfast buffet are among the most awesome things in the galaxy.

When I am on the road for work, I get a fixed per diem, and free brekky and club lounge mitigate the cost of boarding my dog, which pretty much is a bit over half of my per diem. (I know, its my lifestlye choice and a fixed cost in any circumstances). Absent diamond breakfast, I'd likely spend a max of $8 on breakfast.

My guess is that 4 or 5 MR's will do the trick. Out of pocket, about $350, and the nephews will love me that much more.

I could just enjoy Diamond thru February 28, and see if I want to re-up for 2014.

Advice?

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I say go for it. The suite upgrades alone are worth more than the extra spend you need.

perryplatypus and jfhscott like this.
  3. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. I've used one suite upgrade this year. And in previous years I've found myself using soon expiring upgrades for stays that last 10 hours, just to kick the tires on an upgraded room. Oddly, when I am on vacation, I generally downscale - dumpy digs in Belize or Alaska are my norm. No Diamond upgrades to be had there. Wish there was a market for them.

perryplatypus and marcwint55 like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are using them frequently and next month I have two rooms at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo that have been upgraded with suite certificates. I think the savings was around $6,000.00 for just that one stay.

perryplatypus and jfhscott like this.
  5. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    A far better use than I have put them to.

Over the 4th of July a buddy and I went to PH Chicago and used an upgrade - it guaranteed him use of the couch while I got the bed. And the extra half bath was nice - he and I a grown ups after all. But, regrettably, most of my stays are fairly intense business stays, when I just need a bed and a desk to do what I must do until I return home. Hence my squandering upgrades on 10 hour stays.

At least the dog is happy when I get home.

perryplatypus likes this.