How much is Status worth to you?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by prometheusg, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

How much would you pay to get your status back?

1. $0-$200

22.4%
  2. $200-$500

26.5%
  3. $500-$1000

20.4%
  4. $1000-$2000

30.6%
  1. prometheusg
    Original Member

prometheusg Silver Member

Status Points:
    My question I posted about whether I should go for the Gold status challenge got me thinking. How much is status worth to you? If you lost your status for some reason, how much would you pay to get it back? I'm leaving it open to any status here: Gold, Platinum, and Executive Platinum.

Edit: I meant to have another option for greater than $2000, but messed up and posted. Now I can't edit the poll.

2. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd be willing to pay a lot more for EXP than PLT, maybe even up to 2k (the eVIPs are worth more than that alone). I'd not be willing to pay more than $100 max for Gold, it's too easy to achieve on your own and you don't get a whole lot for it.

3. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Before I tell you what status is worth to me, you tell me what it's worth to you.

HNL likes this.
  4. prometheusg
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I don't know. I've never had status, so I don't have anything to go on.

I'm pretty new to the frequent flyer world and haven't even been on a plane in almost two years, lol. I was trying to figure out a way to get cheap tickets for my wife and I for a trip coming up in June and stumbled into this world in December. We will be flying a lot more in the coming years, but we were both unemployed in '09 and started saving all over again in '10. Previous to all that mess, I'd been to 22 countries, but never considered any frequent flyer programs because I never flew on any particular airline. Just whatever I found cheapest in 10 minutes on one of the big travel sites. Very short sighted, I know. So I guess status has never been worth much to me, but that's mostly because I was basically unaware of it in the first place.

5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    You do have something to go on. You can go to AA.com and read about the benefits status grants to each status level.

Yeah, but you can go to AA.com and read the benefits of each status level, and apply those benefits to your own situation. For example, Gold on AA allows you and your traveling companions to check two bags each for free. How many bags do you normally check times price per first bag (if not elite) and price per second bag (if not elite) times number of times you plan to have bags checked per year gives you the value of that benefit to you.

For me, that number would be at least $1,000 per year, figured as follows:
    At least 10 trips per year = at least 20 times bags checked.
    Each time, first bag for me ($25), first bag for wife ($25) = $50.
    20 instances of bag checking at $50 per pop is $1,000

But that's me. It has nothing at all to do with you. If you want to come along with us on all our trips, you would be at $1,000 per year for the bag check benefit also, but frankly that seems a bit creepy to me. So, figure out how many trips you're likely to take per year and run the math on your own situation, for this and the other benefits you have read about on AA.com here:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/main.jsp?from=Nav

This is the second thread you have started in an effort to avoid doing the reading and calculations noted above. In your first thread:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/value-of-gold-status.4962/

I pointed out to you in that thread that this is a very individual value, and what somebody else would come up with for their situation would not be relevant to you and your situation. Yet here we are again, with you trying to find out what status is worth to you by asking others what it is worth to them. At this point, it begins to appear that you are unwilling to put in the hour or so of work to figure out what it is worth to you, and would like others to do the work to figure out what it is worth to them and tell you, so you can take an average or something.

Well, I did promise you that I would tell you what it is worth to me if you told me what it is worth to you. Despite the fact that you didn't tell me what it is worth to you, I will tell you what it is worth to me. For me, with my flying pattern, EXP status is worth about $5,000 per year. Now, perhaps you can tell me how that piece of information helps you.

skit53 and HNL like this.
  6. prometheusg
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wow, could you please retract your claws? I'm not trying to get you to decide for me nor am I asking for help in this thread at all. I've already decided what I'm going to do based on the great insight I was given in the other thread. I was just wondering how other people personally value their status. I just thought it would be interesting and that's why I started this thread. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

7. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    For my current flying pattern, EXP's upwards of $2K. Other status - much, much less because I have lifetime status on another airline.

I use all the VIPs - that alone is worth >$2K (though if I didn't have them, I'd fly less on AA or less outright & take advantage of discount business class fares). I do a lot of domestic transcons, so I use a lot of "no cost sticker upgrades (if I didn't have them, I'd probably fly a different airline). Lounge access is worth something internationally - domestically, I have a platinum AmEx.

On the other hand, my flying patterns are such that I don't burn a lot of miles, except to take someone along on trips or where the cash price is outrageous. I'd rather earn the status with butt-in-seat than burn miles at every opportunity. That means AA gets more revenue from me that it would get otherwise (so the program works).

Always Be Flying likes this.
  8. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry I got confused. I thought you still didn't know what status was worth to you when you started this thread. I think I see where I went wrong. When I asked you in this thread what status was worth to you, you responded:

I misinterpreted that to mean that you didn't know what status was worth to you, because you had never had status, and therefore didn't have anything to go on. That's why I tried to explain how to determine what status is worth to an individual, to give you something to go on. Sorry, my bad.

9. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    prometheusg, looks like gemac did point out some things to think about in the post and referred you to the benefits of each level. Can you tell what status people are buying back from your poll? Everyone can learn from a well thought out post. Keep posting so we all can learn.

10. prometheusg
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh, am I the only one who can see the poll results??? That doesn't seem very useful! It's currently at 10%, 40%, 10%, 40%.

gemac: The question I posed was basically, if you lost status, how much would you pay to get it back. I've never had it, so I can't really answer that. I can answer that I'm planning to do the status challenge in June and pay a total of about $400 for it. Not sure if it's really worth it to me, but it is to my wife, lol. She wants to be able to pick good seats, not worry about baggage fees, and use the priority check-in lines Since we both have to fly on the same flight I need to earn status, she's going to do the status challenge, too. So, $800 is basically what we're paying to get us both gold status for 20 months. I think it's too much, but she values the little comfort things a lot more than I do.

11. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    The flaw in your poll is it does not take status level into consideration. I would pay a lot more to buy back EXP and I would Gold.

JY1024, gemac and weinskkb like this.
  12. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    HNL, you said it better than I. prometheusg, one can see the results after voting, but I don't know how to determine the level being bought back as HNL said. EXP has a lot more benefits than Gold thus would be worth more to buy back.

gemac likes this.
  13. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're paying $400 for it, then Gold status is worth at least $400 to you. If you had said that when I asked you how much it was worth to you, instead of that you didn't know, I wouldn't have been so confused.

14. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right. I can't vote. As I posted above, EXP is worth $5,000 to me. That category doesn't exist in the poll. Of course, Gold status wouldn't be worth nearly $5,000 to me.

15. Mark Allen Jackson
    Original Member

Mark Allen Jackson Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would pay some goood money for a private booking line and upgrades...

m4rk4jcks0n likes this.
  16. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's very painful to lose status. Therefore, don't.

17. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's simple math. EXP is worth $5,000 to me. Gold is worth $400 to the OP. Therefore, Plat is worth $2,700.

Were you asleep when they covered averages in 7th grade math?

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would pay a bit just to avoid the horrible loss of self esteem associated with having the lowly status of Lifetime Platinum forced upon me.

Woe is me! Suffering is part of the human condition!

Seriously, folks, pay cash for status? Not a chance unless I can amortize the cost directly be increases rewards or reduced upgrade cost. Simple economics for me.

19. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just did the math, Diamond at Hilton is worth a free breakfast as a minimum. Figuring 50 nights a year at 15 bucks a pop(average); $750 savings a year. The upgrades are all nice, but I really don't factor that in as a value.

20. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the question because it makes you think about your own situation, level, carrier, alliance, hotel chain, etc. For me, there is no hotel chain I would pay for status. In reality, the same is probably true for airlines, as I would rather do MR's or find reasonable F/J with which to build status.

Most silver levels (incl AA G) would be worth about $250 to me as I don't check bags often. UA 2P might be worth a little more due to E+, but not much.

Gold levels would range from $500-1000 for me, as upgrades would be (slightly) more plentiful and mileage bonuses would be better. AA plat may be near the top of this range.

UA 1k, DL DM, and AA EXP would be worth quite a bit, just a quick back-of-the-napkin calculation would tell me about $3000, $2000, and $4000-5000, respectively.

YMMV, but again it is a good question for reflection as to what is important in a loyalty program.

cptnkirk77 likes this.
  21. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being a fully on my own dime traveler, I think about this a lot.

But at the same time, I choose to travel as much as I do because of the enjoyment/hobby of it. So for me to put the full cost of all my trips only to the accrual of status is not truly fair.

To answer what I believe the OP's question in this thread is, I would not buy my status for any reason. Like the buy back programs in AA. To me that's a fee that often I can come out ahead by just doing a mileage run.

Diamond for Hilton for me last year was one of those situations where I was going to get 28 stays simply for the week's worth of q3fn. So I spent nothing extra to get diamond beyond what I was going to do to get the certs. Got what I feel is an awesome value out of them too by using them at the Hilton Seychelles. So diamond last year was "free" since other reasons had me meeting the requirements.

Now if the question is more of how much in return value do I see for sticking to a single plan (AA or Hilton in my case) the numbers are flexible. I recently was upgraded from a junior suite to a royal suite at the Bentley Hotel in London. It costs more than double to book that usually so its a nice value, but to be honest I'd never pay for the suite.

So it is quite flexible in that regard.

To me actually flying enough to earn the status is always better than buying it back.

cptnkirk77 and Travelgirl like this.
  22. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    As another point for discussion, if one has held AAdvantage Platinum or Gold and just lost status (March 1, 2011), one can pay to retain the lost status for one more year (through 29 Feb 2012 - such a deal, an extra day!): Whether it is worth it or not would depend on how frequently one flys and which benefits one uses - if you never fly internationally nor check in baggage, for example, Platinum would not be worth nearly as much as it would be for someone who checks two bags and has planned several trips to Asia, Europe, South America...

AAdvantage Platinum
    40,000 Miles or Points or 48 Segments (pay) $619
    Less than 40,000 Miles and Points and less than 48 Segments (pay) $769

AAdvantage Gold
    20,000 Miles or Points or 24 Segments (pay) $409
    Less than 20,000 Miles and Points and less than 24 Segments (pay) $559

Per the intent of this thread, this is how you can repurchase status on AA - once, as the following year it will not work.

Travelgirl likes this.
  23. stu52
    Original Member

stu52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I for one would get no benefit from the savings on checking bags for free because I always do carry-on.

Remember....there are two kinds of bags: (1) Carry-on & (2) Lost!

24. Redhead

Redhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of my travel is company-paid and tends to be J-class international, so status is something that I use for my personal travel. I tend to do carry-on 9-% of the time, so saving checked fees on personal travel would be around $100/year max (and more likely closer to $25). The real benefit for me is upgrade priority and the discount to the AC (again for my domestic travel).

My travel is changing and becoming more domestic so I think the value of status will actually go up for me as my fare basis changes and I'm paying to fly up front as much.

25. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be interestting to see the poll extrapolated out to:
    How much would you pay to get your Gold status back?
    How much would you pay to get your Plat status back?
    How much would you pay to get your EXP status back?
    ...each w/ a similar, multi-choice set of $$/££ amount answers.