How much is a hub cap?

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by Grace, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I returned my rental today and the guy checking me in said the hubcab is damaged. I never check the passenger side so I honestly have no clue if it was there before, but I don't remember "curb checking" during this rental.

Any clue how much this will cost? Will they seriously take the vehicle out of service for a hub cap?

Spangenberg likes this.
  2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They wouldn't take it out of service ... would they replace it? Maybe. Sometimes old (20K+ miles) rentals are horribly scuffed and scratched anyway.

I'd guess between $100 and $200 for a factory hubcap. :(

3. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was 20K miles. Apparently I'm waiting for someone in their claims department to verify if the damage is new or not. There were so many other scuffs on the car I doubt i did it. I can't prove or disprove it though.

...this was Hyundai Elantra.

4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope it turns out OK!

I once scuffed (pretty badly) an aluminium wheel on an almost-new Jaguar I had rented from LGW (free upgrade!): the narrow English roads got me just before I returned the car. Fortunately my credit card covered the $1000 they charged for the replacement wheel. :(

5. eap
    Original Member

eap Silver Member

Status Points:
    We lost a hub cap on a dirt road in South Africa. We pointed it out upon return, and the rental car employee walked into the office, grabbed another one, and zip-tied it on. Never in America (or Europe)...

If the rental company you used is reasonable, I would expect a $100-$200 bill. If they are not, I hope your credit card company is willing to fight. Good luck.

6. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although this is the national forum, it was technically an Alamo rental.
    I have corporate insurance, but i'm not sure if i can even file to that since i don't have a police report. I'm not sure how that process works at all. Rental charged to Costco AMEX.

7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Costco Amex should cover the damage, according to this link:
    http://www201.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/Costco-TrueEarnings

8. JonathanIT
    Original Member

JonathanIT Active Member

Status Points:
    What location was this?

9. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the last 20 years and 6 months I never had an issue with a rental car. Within the last 6 months, I had two flats. (different cars, different cities) In both cases I was told I would have to pay..filled out the National paperwork, and never heard another word on either. Wishing you the same.....

10. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    one of the knobs on the roof rack of my Jeep Grand Cherokee rental blew off with the snow (I suspect it wasn't tight when I picked up the truck) I took the roof rack thing off and will probably return the car without them, lol

the last thing I want is the rental company charging me $100-$200 for a knob

11. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    PHX. I hate when National, Avis, and Hertz are over $100 more per rental than other agencies. I figured Alamo should be enough like national that I could suffer through waiting in line for paperwork, but apparently they find ways to get their $100 back.

Who knows. I'm hoping it dies as well. In the past when I owned cars with hubcaps I never scratched them. If I hit a curb I always managed to knock it off. Do rental car companies go through periodically and actually take pictures/document cars for when things like this happen? I know Enterprise is picky about this, but I thought the others didn't care as much.

12. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:

No clue, I just popped in because I literally LOL'ed at your thread title

13. JonathanIT
    Original Member

JonathanIT Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm kinda surprised National would ding you for hubcap damage, I've never heard of it on a domestic rental. It seems like a lot of their cars have hubcaps that are scratched up. I can understand if it were the more expensive alloy rims, and there was significant damage. But even curb rash seems like normal wear and tear. I hope this doesn't signal National scrutinizing returns more... they have always been pretty liberal in the past (one of the reasons I'm such a big fan) but I have noticed them checking cars more carefully lately. I'm afraid this is a natural effect of ownership by Enterprise, known for notoriously draconian return inspections.

Hope it works out for you!

14. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    It claims to be secondary to other insurance. Primary would be my corporate policy, then my personal policy I guess, but my personal policy has a $1000 deductible and it was a business rental anyway.

15. Yikes - I just returned a Hyundai Elantra, not a bad car, decent gas mileage. But I did notice that the hubcaps were just cheap plastic ones that you probably could buy a set of 4 at Walmart for 20$.

Hope they don't ding you too badly.

16. JonathanIT
    Original Member

JonathanIT Active Member

Status Points:
    That's funny... and gives me an idea: if you notice some damage or a missing hubcap, maybe you could just pick up a set of cheap hubcaps at Walmart and replace all of them before you returned the car. Maybe they won't notice! :D (yes, I'm j/k lol)

17. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I hope you took photos. On our corporate National account, we average about one "damage" claim every year - or I should say DID before we finally started paying the $10/day LDW auto-charge we negotiated after our last claim.

Our last claim was for a scratched bumper. My business partner did not unfortunately take photos when they pointed it out to her. The charge was for almost $2,700 because they claimed the car was out of service for 7 days (and they charge the lost revenue while the car is out of fleet in addition to the cost of repairs).

Alas, National is the best program for us because a good chuck of our team rents cars for a week at a time, picking up in one city and dropping in another and often putting 1,000-1,500 miles on the car in that duration. They are the only company that plays well with one-way rates for the cities we use.

18. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    my woes with Enterprise continue

I finally changed out of the Jeep Grand Cherokee into a Dodge Journey... nice car on the outside but was beat to crap when it comes to driving... 28k on a 2010 car and the suspension was completely shot... you hit a pot hole and the whole thing just whobbles all over the road, with the steering extremely loose... what worried me though was a plastic sounding knocking coming from the rear... I checked all of the interior compartments and there was nothing rolling around, which led me to believe that the spare tire was loose under the car and was bouncing around there.

now forget the damaged hub cap, imagine how much damage a loose spare tire would do if it finally became untied???

I took the car back and got a Ford Escape replacement... also a 2010 model and also with 27k on the clock... not as loose as the Journey but the 4-cylinder engine is way too small for that body... the little thing cannot get out of its own way.... and the most annoying thing the fuse must have blown for interior lights, because other than the mood-lighting on the center console, none of the interior lights work. I'm not taking any more chances with Enterprise though, I'll keep it until my truck is out of the shop and if they ask me how they can improve their service when I return it, I may have to suggest leaving the flash light in it next time, as obviously interior light is kind of important when you rent a car.

19. rustyr
    Original Member

rustyr Active Member

Status Points:
    That's why I always carry a small led flashlight in my bag when i rent a car at nite- they can be picked up for couple of bucks or less and put our a powerfull beam so you can inspect the car before u drive off the lot. As far as the hubcap goes they can charge you whatever the local car dealer is charging them plus the time/costs to go to the dealer to pick up the hubcap=bend over!!

20. Seat1A
    Original Member

Seat1A Silver Member

Status Points:
    i had a national car that was missing a gascap.. i bought a cheap replacement rather than deal with national on it. $12 at autozone was well spent, imo.

generally, i find that one of the best features of the emerald aisle concept is that i can base my selection on a quick inspection, rather than finding a beat up car in my spot and having to go back to the counter.

jackal likes this.
  21. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is exhibit 1 why you should always inspect the entire car before leaving the rental lot. Some people even take pictures of the car before they leave.

It will be a factory hubcap--especially at corporate locations, they don't mess around with saving a few bucks (especially when the customer is paying for the damage anyway) to buy aftermarket parts and install them themselves. It's taken either to the dealer or a contracted body shop, serviced by the dealer or body shop, and done with fully OEM parts (which they might get at a slight discount).

The charge you'll likely see is whatever you would have paid to replace your own hubcap plus an administrative fee. Admin fees are usually on a sliding scale; the more expensive the service, the more expensive the administrative fee. They tend to start at $50 or so for damage of only a few hundred dollars and go up to several hundred dollars for damage in the multi-thousand dollar range.

Corporate locations and reputable franchised locations do not typically mark up damage charges. They charge whatever the dealer or body shop charged them, plus a separately-itemized admin fee.