How much for Lifetime GS, 1k, PLT

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by benolaa, Mar 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Continental has some cool and interesting auctions to use onepass miles which I have been able to use mostly for sporting events but there has been a number of others. If they auctioned off lifetime status be it GS, 1k or Plt how many miles would you spend?

druiddation likes this.
  2. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see UA/CO being willing to sell lifetime status off like that. they are not US. Not sure what lifetime GS would be? 10 mil full fare EQM. It would have to be one heck of an accomplishment that very few would have.

3. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    4 Mil BIS miles would get it for you my question is how many rdm would you pay if they were to auction it?

druiddation likes this.
  4. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Several million, at least.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I'd expect it to cost, but no way I'd pay it.

I can generally qualify for 1K based on my regular travel patterns. If I wasn't flying then having the status wouldn't do me much good. If I had 5MM RDMs I'd rather buy a pair of long-haul C awards for the next 20+ years for the wife and I to travel on than get 1K status. What is the value proposition?

6. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm 6'4", so guaranteed E+ is worth something to me, even when I don't get an upgrade. United sells E+ for $425/year. If I take the net present value of $425/year, over my flying "lifetime", it will total about $7,000. That $7,000 equates to almost 1MM mileage plus miles, at 1.3cpm. So, theoretically, I would pay 1MM miles for lifetime 2P. Add in some extra possible value to me for extra upgrade potential, for 1K or GS, and I would go at least that 1MM miles. But, since the future is uncertain, and United could cease to exist, or reduce the value or structure of elite benefits, I would probably not go much over 1MM for 1K lifetime status.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're flying enough for the $425 annual fee to make sense then wouldn't you likely be a 2P anyways and get E+ for free?

8. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and I forgot about the value of waived bag fees, in my calculation above. United sells that for $349/year. I would probably value it at less for my personal use patterns, but I would still value it around $200/year. So that would make me more confident, in spending at least 1MM miles for lifetime 1K status, and knowing I would get a value of at least 1.3cpm, assuming I fly at least three or so roundtrips a year on United for the next 20 or so years.

9. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point. But, some years, I might not fly enough on United to be 2P, say three roundtrips and 20k miles total. So in those years, my calculation would still apply.
    Essentially, the benefit to me, would be in years when I fly a little United, but not enough to be 2P.
    So, because of your point, I guess domestic upgrades are really a big factor in the calculation. That is a more complex calculation. Plus, I only realllly value upgrades on international flights, so lifetime status wouldn't be as valuable for me. As long as I have 34" of seat pitch, I'm good.

10. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, the more I think about it, you're totally right! I want my 1MM theoretical miles back! ;-)

11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    But you could spend $200-300 on a cheap end-of-year transcon and get enough miles to keep your status for that year. Occasionally spending a few hundred is much cheaper than annually spending $425. Really, I don't understand why anyone would pay for the E+ or baggage memberships except for the first year before they've attained 2P. After that, if you aren't flying enough to maintain status, you would be better off paying a la cart. And if you're coming in just under, MRs are cheaper than shelling on a membership the next year

12. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the time I accumulate (and retain) that many miles, if I do not fly enough to earn 1K status, I hope to be wealthy enough to just buy F or J every time I fly. [​IMG]

13. TennisPro
    Original Member

TennisPro Silver Member

Status Points:

Another good point. Now I REALLLLY want my 1MM theoretical miles back! [​IMG]

14. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I would spend millions+ RDM for lifetime status. Seems I could just use them for award tix (in C or F where I would have majority of the perks)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  15. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Currently 1MM BIS gives you lifetime 1P. Don't give them any ideas.

16. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    To get lifetime GS you'll need to buy the airline.

Billiken likes this.
  17. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess that means that Smisek is lifetime GS. [​IMG]

kwai likes this.
  18. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    ..or marry the CEO.

19. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Liking this is really against my better judgment.

SS255 likes this.