How much extra for diamond

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by particlemn, Apr 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been hilton gold for about 2 1/2 years, I wrote to hilton yesterday inquiring about a fast track to diamond and they told me that I could be upgraded to diamond with 21 nights by July 9, 2012. I already have a 7 night award stay later in april and a 2 night stay planned in june. does anyone think its worth doing some cat2 matress run award nights to get to diamond. all my travel is non-busness, next year we are planning 8 nights in london and 8 nights in dublin on award stays so it seemd that being diamond might be beneficial but at what cost. I am in souther california so there are no cat 1 hotels nearby i could use.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't seem to be particularly close. That's an awful lot of mattress running to get to a status you'll barely use.

3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been diamond for a few years now and other than in Dubrovnik, I have always been given a nice suite upgrade. I would recommend the mattress run or even checking with some cheap hotels outside the local area. Sometimes you can pay a cheap rate for a room that you do not use and it will still count towards your diamond qualification. I have done this previously with other hotel chains. I usually call the hotel or front desk manager and explain the situation. They are usually thrilled to get the revenue and still have the room to rent out.

4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you done this with any HH properties? In the past one could book HH hotels by browsing hilton. com, booking the cheapest rooms across the country and then calling them to get credit ( the former and very crappy Hilton Reno which had rooms running as low as $49 was a favorite of those trying this)... but no more.
    HH has for some years now clamped down on this bamboozle and the only way you will able to get stay credit is by physically checking in.

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't with Hilton. I have with Marriott, Hyatt and Starwood properties.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a no-no with Hilton. From Item #4 under Accrual of Points in the T&C:
    ...unless a property is willing to buck the T&C to get the revenue by double dipping (charge you for the room but still have it available for booking by someone else), it won't work with HH...

daninstl likes this.
  7. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure if you considred it, or have the means of doing it. If you get Hilton Surpass AMEX credit card, and spend $40k/year, you would be able to have Diamond through March 2014.

Cheers,

PedroNY

8. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do award stays or free night certificates count towards challenges?