How much do you value a Chairman's e-cert?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by DeacFlyer1, Oct 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Before I explain why I ask, I have a question that ties back into this: If you are Chairman's, I know the $150 award mileage redeposit fee is waived. Does that also apply to others on your reservation? So If I were Chairman's and had to cancel and award trip for my wife and I, would that save me $300, or only $150 (for myself)? Although I guess maybe I'm thinking of that incorrectly...since I booked both our seats using my miles and we're on one PNR, would that only be one re-deposit anyway, even though there are two of us?

The reason why I ask is that I'm going to finish the year having requalified for Platinum, but short of Chairman's. My wife and I have an award trip to Paris booked next year, but something has come up and we may need to cancel the trip. Right now, if I cancel, it's going to cost me $150 (or $300?) to get my miles back.

So I'm thinking, maybe it makes sense to buy up to Chairman's after I finish my flying for the year, because the value proposition starts to look better if I can get a big fee waived because of that investment...so let's assume I finish the year with about 78,000 miles (which is what it's looking like), it would cost me $989 to buy up to Chairmans. But the re-deposit fee is waived for Chairmans, so I'd already be getting a $150 (or $300) value for that purchase...so let's say I save $150, that would be like I paid $839 for Chairmans.

So the question is, is each of the four e-certs I would get worth the $209.75 average cost that I'd be paying for them ($839/4)? I'm just trying to rationalize if this makes sense to do, and while I know I'd get 100% mileage bonus and an earlier upgrade window, it seems the e-certs are the real added value here, and I'm curious what others think?

Given that I have to cancel an award, is it a good value to buy up to Chairman's to make that cancellation free, and then have the additional benefits that come along with that?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both of my parents tend to fall in that 80K-ish EQM range by December, and they have both been buying up to CP, so they get 2 sets of certs + higher upgrade priority. So if you were to ask them, their response would be, "It's only worth it if you take different flights than we do!!!" :D

javacodeguy and chrislacey like this.
  3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    For mileage redeposit fees, it's based on miles from your account. If you use your miles for both tickets, there is no fee to redeposit them. I love this feature - allows you to hold itineraries until something better opens up. However, if someone books a mileage ticket for you - you cannot use your CP benefit to redeposit back to their account.

4. ramolnar
    Original Member

ramolnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, you'd also get an extra 25% on next year's miles. If you fly about 78,000 miles again, that's 19,500 extra, worth $200-300.

For the upgrades, I would pay $200 each way for an upgrade on a flight to Europe. From reports about the new Envoy suites, they might be better. And upgrading with my wife would be worth a bit more, under the "Happy wife, happy life" theory. If I knew that a partner and I would use the certificates next year, I'd buy up for $1000. At 80% likelihood of use? Yes. At 50%? Maybe.

iolaire likes this.