How much do you spend annually on credit cards?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by LarryInNYC, Jan 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

What is your total annual credit card spend?

1. Less than $1,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. $1,001 to $5,000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $5,001 to $10,000

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. $10,001 to $20,000

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. $20,001 to $50,000

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  6. $50,001 to $100,000

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  7. More than $100,000

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a gentle introduction to credit card mile bonuses last year, applying for three cards and receiving 250,000 miles (Chase BA and 2x Citi AA). I'm getting ready to apply for some additional cards (which means planning to meet the minimum spending requirements).

I'm curious to get an idea of how much other people spend in total on their credit cards per year. Please answer (anonymously) using the attached poll and, if you care to, add any comments on maximizing the value of the credit card spending you do.

(When responding to the poll, include ALL spending that happens on your cards even if it's deductible or reimbursable business expense, or other expense that you get paid back for).

gwhit21 and yaychemistry like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My corporate Amex doesn't earn any points and is for the most part mandatory for business expenses (not a big deal since I generally don't travel for business). Do you only care about cash-back/mile/point-earning card charges?

3. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't actually spend that much on my c.c.'s, but between the United Mileage Select (gas, groceries, dining, and home improvement), and the Chase Sapphire (dining, travel) I earn 2 miles on most of my spending. Throw in the UR mall (8-10pts/$ at Kohls and bn.com), and I easily average more than 2 miles/pts per dollar spent annually!

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    My family does a fair amount of shopping at Kohl's, but we generally use the sales which (I think) require you to use the Kohl's charge card. I assume that's not possible via UR, you have to use the Chase card, right?

Also, you don't happen to know what the UR miles back is for Best Buy, do you?

5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    About a year ago, my answer would have been very different (higher, that is)...

6. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use the Chase Card, but I've heard that other people have successfully gotten UR points through the mall when using gift cards or other credit cards. It might be worth trying it once to see if it works.

Right now Best Buy is only at 1pt/$.

7. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I can verify that using non Chase cards thru the UR mall works. I do it all the time and have yet to lose any bonus points.

canucklehead and yaychemistry like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe all Corporate Cards are not created equal but mine does earn me Membership Reward points that I can use to purchase airline tickets or transfer to linked accounts (e.g., Hilton Honnors).

9. dagaetch

dagaetch Active Member

Status Points:
    It depends...I'm capable of doubling my credit card spend by putting rent on a card, but I only do that to hit minimums.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed not all corporate cards are created equal. It really depends on what the company negotiates with Amex. In my case, the card cannot be added to my personal MR account. Why? Because my company wouldn't want to pay for the rewards points (and perhaps create an additional incentive for employees to charge more than necessary).

11. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can shop thru the mall with your Kohls card, or any other credit card.

12. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or someone at your company is already getting the points, most corporate cards get points for the company. My company uses them for employee gifts , promo's etc...

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope. They are not getting points, the company is simply getting a better share of the % the merchant pays to Amex.