How Much do Branded Toiletries Cost Hotels?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by lsed, Oct 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like collecting toiletries from the nicer hotels I stay at. On a recent 6 week trip I kinda overdid it and came back with 20+ kg extra of toiletries. lol

Usually the higher the category, the larger the bottles they provide. (Once had 14 full sized Molton Browns in a suite)

But just on the average, how much would the unit cost of toiletries from say, Le Labo, Clarins, Hermes, Molton Brown, etc?

At Fairmonts, they usually give the larger sized Le Labos for suites, and at turn down, every single item is replaced again, so long as it's moved. I'm guessing it's got to be quite a bit of money for the hotel!

jbcarioca, Sweet Willie and Mapsmith like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those toiletry brands usually consider nicer hotels to be good promotional opportunities for them. Most likely they charge such hotels no markup, just their cost (i.e. a miniscule amout).

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some hotels also sell the toiletries they feature, for example if the property has a gift shop. In other places, there's a catalogue in the room that also sells linens and beds.

jbcarioca and Mapsmith like this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but usually at grossly inflated prices. I do wonder what the hotel pays for it. I do remember reading a while back that amenities in a high-end upscale hotel can cost the hotel several dollars per set.

KENNECTED and jbcarioca like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    The women's shelter near me loves to receive the boxes of my collected toiletries! They are very happy to have any donated.

6. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    that is such a great use of the extra toiletries. I remember reading an article by MMS bringing care packages with him to India to give away. I have a buddy going to a tiny village 6-7 hour drive away from BKK to work at a orphanage/school. Going to pack him several packages. If his check in luggage allow for it.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca and Sweet Willie like this.
  7. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    And these are good to donate when there are natural disasters and people are displaced from their homes. Along with the socks etc that we get in first class international flight they make great donations.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    not flying much J or F lately but looking over at my current box, I do have 4 or 5 pairs of socks, good idea!

Singapore Flyer and jbcarioca like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    After disasters, aid agencies usually prefer money contributions rather than merchandise.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they make for great donations. I do not believe that means one should hoard as many as possible whilst on a particular stay so as to be able to make such a donation. If you have extras, great. But taking more than the normal amounts from a provider so you can donate them to someone else is quite beyond what is reasonable IMO. If the hotel/airline wanted to donate that many extras they would. You don't get to decide that for them.

Betty Boop likes this.