How much data?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by KyRoamer, Oct 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are AT&T and grandfathered into unlimited data for $30 per month. My IT person said to drop to the 2 GB plan and save $5 per month. he said none of our users ever exceeded 2 GB and few exceeded 1 GB of data. Thoughts?

I talked to our company AT&T rep. He said the same and that if you go over AT&T automatically adds 1 GB for $10 more. He also said you get multiple warnings as you approach your limit.

My Blackberry has never done 1 GB but the wife's iPhone 3GS averages over 800 MB and has gone to 1.2 GB once. Looks to me on my account that saving $60 per year would be smart but I will likely move to an iPhone next year when the real 5 arrives. Once you give up unlimited, it is gone.

For my wife, if I give it up we save $60 per year. Even if she uses more one month, we still save $50. I am tempted.

We do not do movies or much music. However, She may start using iCloud and could move over two thousand pictures there. After the initial move, I believe her data transfer to the cloud will not be all that much.

Am thinking of staying unlimited for first 90 days to see how the 4S uses data. After that will likely move one number to the 2 GB cap.

What are you all doing?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the thought of unlimited. And I am on the unlimited plan. In my case it's a corporate plan and I don't even have a choice (and don't pay myself).

That said, even with occasional radio streaming, a few MyWi hotspot sessions here and there and lots of email, RSS and adhoc surfing I don't think I have ever exceeded 2GB in a given month. So if it was my money, I'd probably switch to the cheaper plan.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm close to 2GB a month but I've never gone over. Then again I rarely use anything that's big on data usage other than the occasional Netflix movie.

But with that said, depending on what you do, it could be real easy to go over any thresholds. I have friends that consistently use 10GB+ a month (with Sprint, which doesn't cap or throttle).

4. FrankieC

FrankieC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the blackberry configuration, like connecting to a Blackberry Enterprise server in the office for e-mail and web browsing and such, you will typically see less usage on the blackberry devices as RIM systems do their best to compress data before sending it to the device. That's nice from a data usage perspective, not so nice when RIM systems are down for four days as it was last week :)

My personal blackberry tends to stay under 200mb while my corporate iPhone is much higher, like 1GB/month or so and I tend to use the blackberry much more, so may want to be careful until you get it and see the usage.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am keeping my unlimited for the exact reason you mentioned- when it is gone, it is gone. I remember back in 1986 saying that I could never imagine needing a hard drive more than 20 meg - I had a brand new Mac Plus at the time....still have it on my bookshelf as a conversation piece....

6. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    In 1988 I traded my 10 mb hard drive for a 30 mb rll drive. Had to upgrade my 1986 version of IBM DOS to use it!!! Never did fill it as I got a 286 computer before I used the 30 mb. In fact I never have filled a hard drive yet. Rigt now I have 1.5 TB and only about 350 GB used.

Data is different. I suspect data use will grow as we communicate often with clouds, etc.I am going to stay unlimited on both phones. The extra $120 per year ($5 per month per phone) is for insurance.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, data usage will grow, but the question is: will usage caps remain at 2GB or increase over time? Customers don't have unlimited amounts of money they can send to the cellphone carriers... And look at voice and how cheap that has become. So for me it would really be a question of how long do I want to pay extra for an unneeded unlimited plan (as insurance) before the cost exceeds the future potential benefit. And what happens if at some point you just want to switch carriers?

OceanBreezes likes this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    My blackberry has 2 GB per month free and then a charge. I have never exceeded the 2 GB per month free. The roaming charges, however, can be frightful. Malaysia was the highest I have experienced.

9. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most providers give only 500MB in the UK, and I've never exceeded that (without tethering) on my iPhone.

I believe that you should be able to do the initial upload over a wifi connection? That'll take the burden off your mobile data usage.

KyRoamer likes this.