How much compensation does AA owe me for almost giving me a heart attack?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by mikeef, May 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Note: We kindly request you take this thread with the humor and self-deprecating tone with which it was intended. We thank you in advance for your understanding.

After having cancelled our trip to Bali last summer, we planned a trip for this summer. Naturally, the location is incidental; the real fun is burning our (or, even better, my wife's) AA miles. BOS-YYZ (obviously in Y), YYZ-HKG (CX F) and HKG-DPS (CX F on a 2-classer, with the hidden, unbookable real F seats up front).

I went on line today to check out something about the CX metal and, to my horror, saw that the reservation had changed to Biz across the water and Y to DPS. My heart raced. Panic ensued. I checked my wife's account. Same thing. I called her to get AA on the line (alas, my temporary status on the state dole last year deprived me of my Ex Plat status, leaving DW as the only one in the family; we can address the inferiority complex another time) and she didn't even know that we had been in F to HKG. Even more shock. Did she really think that I would let her cute little tush suffer for 13 hours in Biz?

So we did a 3-way (phone call, although I was prepared to do just about anything to get us back up front) with M at the ExPlat desk. M couldn't figure out why we were calling. It took us a few minutes to realize that his system still showed us in the proper seats. Flummoxed, we turned to the AA.com support desk. Turns out it was all a mistake. The AA website was having issues (when did AA merge with United?) and it was affecting CX reservatons. All was well. Heart rate returns to normal.

So here's my question: Given the potential medical crisis and long-term counseling that I will need to get past this moment, what do you think is reasonable compensation for my shock and dismay?

Mike

2. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    And you just give me a heart attack. I promptly check my awards and they're still normal. :)

I'm not sure if you will get anything at all. The problem was fixed and you'll be sitting up there. But was it CX.com shows you the wrong seats? AA.com shows "business" for Z and "economy" for U, even though it is first / business classes. And CX.com shows the right class I'm booked into. I think it's just a glitch with AA.com.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA.com shows my Z class as First.

Updated: But then it shows other Z class as Business. I see what you're saying now! :confused:

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Noted :cool:
    Well AA didn't give you this, but don't forget to be thankful for a wife that's willing to fly 13+ hours and not have to be in the front of the bus (although it was her miles :))

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please note: the request for compensation was a joke and a gentle poke at all of the "what kind of compensation do i deserve for this horrible crime" posts. I feel entitled to make this poke, since I am often one of the offenders.

For some reason, she seemed to believe that CX biz is an acceptable way to fly. The nerve!

Mike

6. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    There have been other issues, too. Like last week when AA.com said "confirmed" for my X upgrade yet the seat still showed Y. A phone call revealed that I wasn't really upgraded, the site was showing the wrong thing. Upgrade DID clear before flight, sparing me from a exit row in back...:)

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That really is difficult to understand or accept. CX business is OK? Heavens forbid!! FC suites on EK A380 are just barely adequate when one is accustomed to flying in Falcon 900's and the like. The only remotely possible explanation to accept flying in C is SQ21/22 (100 seats on an A340 does allow marginally adequate room). Because both of those are not OW options and the points are OW points you should insist on FC and real FC only! What kind of a present is this that not only gives you an incipient heart attack due to coding inconsistencies but leaves you in the near-steerage conditions of short-haul CX pseudo-F. The nerve indeed!!

To avoid misconstruction of this post: :D

8. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't like to talk about my wife's poor choices (husband included), but I just had to get my grief out there.

BTW, YBK (you've been kiva'ed).

Mike

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger. :D

10. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, excellent point. Maybe I owe them compensation?

Mike

11. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'll be paying them back soon enough when they do this again. :)

mikeef likes this.
  12. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oddly enough, I'm still having the same problem. Called the web desk who, even after I explained Exec Plat desk had sent me to them, sent me back to the Exec Plat desk. The EP Aangel told me that she had had several calls on this issue and reassured me that I was in the right class of service.

Frankly, I absolutely believe that the ticket is booked correctly, but if there is a problem, I want to be able to show them a confirmation that lists F/J, not J/Y.

Mike

13. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    My awards say the same thing on AA.com, J/Y instead of the F/J I paid for. However, the seat assignments are definitely F/J. Isn't there an email somewhere that says it's F/J for you? Although later emails say J/Y, one of the first emails for my award booking say F/J.

14. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    My Z tomorrow morning showed up on the website as Biz also. Called AA and they assured me that it was just something funky with the website...

MyMiles&Points likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Clearly it's a system issue with AA vs CX cabin coding. I don't think any amount of tinkering AA web services does to your reservation is going to fix the issue, they'd have to fix the entire system. What does the CX site show when you log into you reservation? Should show F class, right? Print that and use it instead. :) That's what I'm doing for mine.

16. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has been extensively discussed and documented on FT ... and it is not just seats on CX ... there are other airlines that AA is incorrectly showing the Fare Class (the Booking class code is always correct - it is the cabin that shows incorrectly - and everything is always correct in the Record locator in the system for the airline that is actually doing flying) ....

But i agree, I almost had a heart attack also when i logged in and saw all my non-AA flights were showing one class lower on AA.com! But that was a month or two ago by now.

17. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTmXHvGZiSY#t=5s

gomike and mikeef like this.
  18. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
  19. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    I finally got tired of it and called AA to get the original copy of my eTicket. I'm not particularly worried but, like most MPers, I carry a certain level of neurosis and cynicism when it comes to the airlines and like to have a printout, just in case.

Mike

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm very much a "just in case" person myself. I've got a OW RTW trip in 2 weeks with Cathay segments in F. I'll have a print out, too. Just in case. ;)

21. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    We leave in three weeks. Too bad, we'll probably just miss you.

Mike

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My trip lasts 3 weeks, so I'll still be flying when you start yours. My CX segments are LHR-HKG-FUK and FUK-TPE-HKG-SIN-CMB for a few days and back to SIN. I start on AA into LHR and finish with QF through SYD on the A380. If you're on any of those, maybe we can celebrate our mutual good fortune with champagne. Either way, Cheers! :)

23. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I'll miss you everywhere, but enjoy!

Mike